Should I bother keeping the 720 I bought?

So I was originally drawn to the $199 sony for the features but then saw the 720 go on sale and I picked it up, the bluetooth, text to speech, voice commands, and lane assistance with upgraded firmware all were appealing,

However now all I read about is the stuttering....I haven't opened the 720 and have 30 days since sunday to return it...should I hold out to see if they fix the issue? from what I have read it seems like this first appeared in November?

Any advice appreciated, thanks

I'd keep it

I too just bought a Go 720 that was on sale. The problem folks are experiencing is when they 'upgrade' to the latest firmware (8.3). I've been using my 720 for a couple of weeks and it works quite flawlessly (except for some comical mispronunciations of some odd street names in WA).

I'd keep it. I don't think you can touch the feature set of the 720 at the price it is being sold for these days (mine was $180). I would not upgrade the firmware until TomTom issues a fix. My only problem is that fix will probably come after my 30 day map upgrade period is over; and you can't download the latest maps without the latest firmware update :(

That is my worry also, you would really think that Tom Tom would extend their map download period due to this issue.

Both of you, the 720 is a very good unit! I have it and it works just fine, there are some tweaks you will find on this forum to fix the stuttering. The map guarantee is for the latest map, get it before your 30 days are up. As for the firmware they are always free so no worries.

Both of you, the 720 is a very good unit! I have it and it works just fine, there are some tweaks you will find on this forum to fix the stuttering. The map guarantee is for the latest map, get it before your 30 days are up. As for the firmware they are always free so no worries.
Since the maps are first downloaded to your computer, and only after that are they installed on the TT unit, I guess I'm not clear why everyone is concerned about downloading the new maps (apart from the fact that they may soon change again). AFAIK, there's no reason NOT to request the maps, download them to your PC, and wait to use them until the new firmware is released to fix the 8.300 issues. Or am I missing something? Will the fact that the TT still has older firmware actually prevent the download by Home?

Since the maps are first downloaded to your computer, and only after that are they installed on the TT unit, I guess I'm not clear why everyone is concerned about downloading the new maps
When I did my map update via TT HOME (the only way that it can be done, AFAIK) it automatically loaded the new maps onto my TomTom. After all, that is the point of the TT HOME software. I don't think you have a choice not to install them after selecting to download them.

Having said that... I love my 720 - stuttering and all. Really, the stuttering only happens on longer convoluted "explanations" anyway. Not simple street names and turn directions. After reading here, I am very confident that there will be a fix forthcoming soon. After all, the previous versions did not have this issue. I'm sure they can fix it.

So... seems easy enough for me to operate with occasional stuttering while awaiting the fix.

Just my opinion.

-Frank

I would be wary of a Sony GPS. Good unit, nice features - BUT - I read in the paper last week that both Sony and Panasonic had stopped selling their units in Europe. It went on to discuss how many manufacturers enter the GPS field, but eventually drop out. Stick with the " big 3" and you can be assured that they will be around for a long time and provide the future service you may require. I have used a 720 for over a year and half and really like it. My biggest complaint is the brightness when driving into the sun on a winter day when the sun is low in the sky! Shielding it from sun doesn't help. Positioning it low on the dash (more into the cabin) works,but is not convenient.

My synopsis of the 720 - it is amazing what it can do if you play around with it and read this forum regularly. The manual is crappy, written by a typical engineer who designed it and knows all the steps, but can't relate to end users' experience.

I have recommended TomTom to my friends and they are really pleased with their units. I wish TomTom had a referral/pyramid compensation plan!!!!

When I did my map update via TT HOME (the only way that it can be done, AFAIK) it automatically loaded the new maps onto my TomTom. After all, that is the point of the TT HOME software. I don't think you have a choice not to install them after selecting to download them.

Having said that... I love my 720 - stuttering and all. Really, the stuttering only happens on longer convoluted "explanations" anyway. Not simple street names and turn directions. After reading here, I am very confident that there will be a fix forthcoming soon. After all, the previous versions did not have this issue. I'm sure they can fix it.

So... seems easy enough for me to operate with occasional stuttering while awaiting the fix.

Just my opinion.

-Frank
If you make sure there isn't room for the new maps, I don't think they'll be installed on the TT (hint!). However, you'll find them in your Go directory on your PC, allowing them to be installed at your leisure. Again, this is predicated upon whether Home is checking firmware levels to determine map download validity. I haven't done a new map in ages, so can't speak to the latest version of Home in this regard.

The stuttering wasn't my only complaint with 8.300. Besides the obvious (loss of FM for directions), there were a host of other small bugs. Even some of the buttons had become mislabeled.

If you make sure there isn't room for the new maps, I don't think they'll be installed on the TT (hint!). However, you'll find them in your Go directory on your PC, allowing them to be installed at your leisure. Again, this is predicated upon whether Home is checking firmware levels to determine map download validity. I haven't done a new map in ages, so can't speak to the latest version of Home in this regard.

The stuttering wasn't my only complaint with 8.300. Besides the obvious (loss of FM for directions), there were a host of other small bugs. Even some of the buttons had become mislabeled.

When updating the 720 or the 920 to latest firmware and maps does that also include the Advanced Lane Guidance? Being new to TOMTOM is there any advantage to buying the 730 or 930 versus the 720 or 920?

The 720 can be changed to a 730 essentially and a 920 can be changed to a 930 essentially just by upgrading the firmware and the maps.

Many are doing the same thing and finding terrific bargains to boot.

The 720 is an excellent deal right now and, if I did not have my XL-S, would jump on it.

If I were you, I'd wait about 28 days after you purchased it as new maps may become available in that time frame and expect the next version to be a major update. The 30 day map garantee is a one shot deal and, once taken, can't be reused. If the new map has not yet been released at that time, you can always download the present version and the NavCore should have been updated to fix the present bugs.

The 720 is an excellent deal right now and, if I did not have my XL-S, would jump on it.

If I were you, I'd wait about 28 days after you purchased it as new maps may become available in that time frame and expect the next version to be a major update. The 30 day map garantee is a one shot deal and, once taken, can't be reused. If the new map has not yet been released at that time, you can always download the present version and the NavCore should have been updated to fix the present bugs.

Hi, I just bought a TT720 which came with the 'North_America_2GB' v710.1584 maps and when I checked TT's website at https://www.tomtom.com/latestmap/, it states that you can download the maps as often as you like in 30 days.

I'm a little confused: do you get to download any updates just once only, or as often as it's any new maps are available within the 30 day period?

Not sure what page at TT says you can dl 'as often as you like' for 30 days.

In fact, you get just ONE 'kick at the can' within 30 days as far as a free map upgrade is concerned.

Which is why most people wait till almost the last of the 30-day window to get their LMG .... just in case a newer one becomes available in that same time frame.

But, don't wait till day 30. It's been known that users have problems getting their map and you may reach unsympathethic ears at TT as you try to plead your case.

Having said all that, there are rumours floating around about TT about to announce a map purchasing plan for North Americans similar to one available to Brits now.

Ask a Question