just bought a second hand tomtom rider 1st edition

hi there

just bought a second hand tomtom rider 1st edition.

it come with just tomtom rider and chager.
i connected it to my pc and tomtom home and got update but i dont have maps yet, all it says on my tomtom when i switch it on is NO MAPS FOUND! in the middle of the screen, is that what it should be like without any map software installed? should it have any icons at all? or do you only get all the icons when you install the maps?

and is it best to pay and download the maps from tomtom home or buy a tomtom sd card with maps?

many thanks

regards

can any1 let me know as im new to all this tomtom stuff.

would really like to know if you have any icons if you have no maps installed? as i connected my tomtom rider to my pc and runned tomtom home and it updated it with bits and bobs but i have to buy the maps but i wasnt going to incase it isn't working properly.

any help?

It is possible that the map is indeed on the unit, but HOME isnt finding it. Using explorer, open the drive where you have your Rider plugged in. See if there is a map. I assume the card is in the SD slot, and that the TomTom logo is on the card. The Rider does not have an internal memory, you must have a card.

If so, ensure you have the latest application version for the Rider2 (cant speak for the Rider1) is 7.901as HOME may no longer recognize whatever version might be on your unit.

If you do not see a map using explorer, you will have to purchase a map, which again will require the latest application.

Beyond that, I dont know what else you can do.

Cheers!

Last edited:
It is possible that the map is indeed on the unit, but HOME isnt finding it. Using explorer, open the drive where you have your Rider plugged in. See if there is a map. I assume the card is in the SD slot, and that the TomTom logo is on the card. The Rider does not have an internal memory, you must have a card.

If so, ensure you have the latest application version for the Rider2 (cant speak for the Rider1) is 7.901as HOME may no longer recognize whatever version might be on your unit.

If you do not see a map using explorer, you will have to purchase a map, which again will require the latest application.

Beyond that, I dont know what else you can do.

Cheers!

it only came with a charger, i had to buy a blank memory sd card myself, i thought it would of been easy to just download some maps off a torrent site and it would work but i was wrong i need to get a propper tomtom map card. what would be best, buying a genuine tomtom sd card with maps on or going on tomtom home and paying and downloading the map off there? plus should i have a mian menu and any icons on my tomtom now even if there isnt any maps installed? because i dont have any icons at all.

thanks

First of all, any discussion or reference to warez sites or stolen maps (for that is what they are) is not allowed on this Board There is an announcement at the top of every forum here saying that.

Yes, you do need to buy a map from TomTom. As far as I'm aware, they no longer sell maps on sd cards. But, when you look at your unit's contents using Explorer, what do you see? Are there folders? Are there loose files in the root of the unit?

First of all, any discussion or reference to warez sites or stolen maps (for that is what they are) is not allowed on this Board There is an announcement at the top of every forum here saying that.

Yes, you do need to buy a map from TomTom. As far as I'm aware, they no longer sell maps on sd cards. But, when you look at your unit's contents using Explorer, what do you see? Are there folders? Are there loose files in the root of the unit?

yea i have a few folders and loads of loose files as tomtom home aswell as (ttgo with device id) but no maps install as this was a blank sd card untill tomtom home updated it to a few bits.

do you not get any icons untill you install a map from tomtom home? all i get on my device is NO MAPS FOUND!

many thanks

Yes, if you dont have the map on the card, you will get nothing, nadda, zip on the screen. Create an account with TT and buy a map thru HOME. You will need a 2GB card.

If you did not recieve a dock for the device, you are going to have to recharge it every 2 hrs or so. If you have to buy a new dock from TT, they are pretty pricey.

Just curious, but how much did you pay for the Rider1?

Cheers

Yes, if you dont have the map on the card, you will get nothing, nadda, zip on the screen. Create an account with TT and buy a map thru HOME. You will need a 2GB card.

If you did not recieve a dock for the device, you are going to have to recharge it every 2 hrs or so. If you have to buy a new dock from TT, they are pretty pricey.

Just curious, but how much did you pay for the Rider1?

Cheers

i paid ?50 off ebay from a bloke in china, i checked his feedback and he sold loads to people all over the place and they have all worked fine.

so if i buy it and download it off tomtom home will tomtom home just install it for me and thats it? or do i need to do something like activate it or anything

hi again my m8 just bought a genuine tomtom disc around and we installed it but when i turn the tomtom on it still says no maps but when i go on tomtom home and press on show my device on pc its all there and working and i can set destinations and plan routs and everything. any1 got any ideas?

Last edited:
Maps are keyed to one device. I am surprised you can do anything at all with it. It will not function on your Rider.

You will have to buy a map thru HOME, and make sure you have the latest applciation, as I have already stated.

cheers

Ask a Question