Is this mean something's wrong with my TT XXL 540TM ?

Every time i connect my TT XXL 540TM to my laptop (windows Vista ) a message box comes up saying "there might be a problem with some files on this device or disc". It asks me if i want to "scan and fix" or "continue without scanning". Im wondering why this happens and if this is a sign that something is wrong with my TT unit ? The unit works fine, havent had a problem so far. Also it has the latest maps and software.

My understanding is that Vista is somewhat neurotic and often gives false positives.

You should make an Explorer backup of your unit's contents anyway..........error messages or not.

But after that, just carry on as long as things seem to be operating properly.

Something important i forgot to add, it does this with my TT XXL 540TM but it doesn't do it with my other TT XL 350M. Does this matter ?

If you are really concerned, make the Explorer backup and then do a chkdsk x: /f where x: represents the drive for TomTom when the 540 is connected to the computer.

Could you please explain how i can run the chkdsk on the TT in detail as im new this, Thank you very much !

Ok i let it only scan without making an corrections just to see what the report would say and it came back without problems, error message still comes out everytime i connect it but oh well what can you do !? Thanks for your time and help.

Every time i connect my TT XXL 540TM to my laptop (windows Vista ) a message box comes up saying "there might be a problem with some files on this device or disc". It asks me if i want to "scan and fix" or "continue without scanning". Im wondering why this happens and if this is a sign that something is wrong with my TT unit ? The unit works fine, havent had a problem so far. Also it has the latest maps and software.

Strongly advise NOT TO run CHKDSK.

TomTom contains proprietary file types ending in .CHK.
Windows interprets these as 'recovered file fragments' (result of running CHKDSK).
Leave 'em alone!!!!

I have the XXL 540TM and it works 100% with my Windows 7 64-bit desktop PC FWIW. (Was originally Windows Vista 64-bit upgraded to Windows 7 in case that matters.)

Ask a Question