So 'share with Others' means squat??

TomTom Model(s)
Go Live1535
As you know my older TT630 was recently replaced .. which when it arrived I downloaded the new 8.70 maps and then using my backup was able to transfer over my mapsettings .cfg and got back my favourites .. BUT over the past three weeks I have noticed that each and every 'new gas station and Car wash' I saved as a POI I have to reinsatall each and every one of them ..
I love to find and install gas stations that are not listed in my Tom Tom maps ...
and Once again when I reinstall these new business's ..
I am asked 'Do I wish to share with others?
well of course .

Well it's too bad that Tom Tom didn't bother to save them to their database .... very disappointed yet again ...
What do I have to do again to save these to the database???

You can't by mapshares. The theory is that with each new map release, the associated poi.dat file has more up to date data than that provided with the prior map. At least, that's the theory.

Mapshare POI corrections are saved in your map folder as a series of .ov2 files - CAxxxx.ov2 and PAxxxx.ov2.

The CA files are downloaded corrections from MapShare and the PA files are your OWN corrections.
The xxxx is a four digit number referring to the particular POI category the corrections are for such as 7311 for petrol stations
(I did a full list of the codes here a few years ago, but the categories have changed a bit since then).

For a while, you used to be able to write your own versions of those files to MERGE your own POIs with the built in ones, but that stopped working after a software update.
However, it might well be worth trying copying the PA files from your old map to see if the corrections are transferred across to the new map.

well of of this is confusing and not very helpful.. I was under the impression that IF you found a new service station or car wash -you mark the added POI to your own device and the device then asks you: Do you wish to share this informaiton with your own Tom tom community? You click yes ,, wouldn't his info be stored for authoration and future approval amongst its own Tom tom staff/customers and be 'added' to future map updates ??? .. If not Why even bother to share?

Just keep it private and hope your Information gets transferred ( for yourself) to any future map updates...

....and hope your Information gets transferred ( for yourself) to any future map updates...

It doesn't...

POI corrections and actual map corrections that we make with MapShare work very similarly:

i.e. We go to the effort of reporting the corrections... TomTom says thank you.... and then they completely ignore them when the next map comes out.

Many of us can come up with examples where we have made the same corrections on every single map that TT release and STILL they are wrong on the next one. Our own corrections are not being carried forward (I just checked with my "text" correction).
-----------------------------------
But have you tried seeing if you can transfer your POIcorrections using those PA files?

Last edited:

Members online

Latest resources

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TomTom VIA 220 from Oz

Latest Threads

Back