What is meaning of speed alert in top left corner?

TomTom Model(s)
Live XL IQ Routes
I've only had my TomTom for about a week, but several times today I had a flashing 50 in a red-circle in the top left corner where the speed camera alerts appear. It lasts for several minutes and there are loud beeps associated with it.

I was travelling in a 70mph zone (noted on the display) and there were no associated cameras.

I've looked in the manual and online, tried tapping on the onscreen icon, but there's nothing to tell me what it means

That's exactly what it is ......... a speed alert for a camera type on the UK roads that reflects 50 mph zone.

If you aren't getting other alerts when you think you should, more than likely a reflection of the inaccuracies of the TT safety camera database, of which there are many.

If you are serious about a decent safety camera subscription which has reliable, accurate & current data, may I suggest you consider the subscription to pocketworld's data set.

See here for more information.

In this case it's an alert for a speed-zone that doesn't exist rather than the other way around.

Is there a user-generated guide for the TomTom that actually describes items like that which aren't in the official manual?

Last edited:
I'd suggest that section of road has been subject to roadworks some time ago, with a 50mph limit and frequent speed cameras.

The roadworks have ended, the speed cameras removed, but are still on the TT database.

There was no speed camera icon, so I'm still wondering if there is a full guide to the TomTom display that covers these Unidentified Flashing Objects.

Ask a Question