is google separating from teleatlas

Yes. They have already terminated the US contract for maps and likely soon to discontinue the use of TeleAtlas in Europe, where Google has reportedly signed map supplier AND. Monitarily, it's not a huge loss for TomTom, altho it does probably cut TeleAtlas revenue for sales other than to TomTom by as much as half. The bigger problem is there's now a big, well-to-do, and focused competitor for mapping who looks like they're going to out-crowd source TomTom for map corrections. TeleAtlas data, and probably Navteq as well, can't do anything but be devalued IMO.

Last edited:
That would explain some things. A couple of days ago I planned a route from my home to my work place with Google maps and part of the route I used to get was missing. I reported the error and was wondering why all of a sudden that particular part of road wasn't there anymore. Now I know! :)

That would explain some things. A couple of days ago I planned a route from my home to my work place with Google maps and part of the route I used to get was missing. I reported the error and was wondering why all of a sudden that particular part of road wasn't there anymore. Now I know! :)

Google is very efficient!! They just added street view to the major cities in Canada and they now have Twin CN Towers.
It took the first contractor several years to build the first one Google did it overnight.:D:D

Google is very efficient!! They just added street view to the major cities in Canada and they now have Twin CN Towers.
It took the first contractor several years to build the first one Google did it overnight.:D:D

Oh, I know they are. They got back to me right away and acknowledged that it was in fact a map error and that they'd correct it.

And it takes TeleAtlas/TomTom or Navteq months to verify and correct. They don't bother getting back to you with the resolution either.:(

Yes. They have already terminated the US contract for maps
In Ontario just to the West of the 401 exit at Ayr it becomes Google maps, to the East is is still Tele Atlas.

We now have to find a different map service that uses the ones from Tele Atlas so we can find out if it is worth spending the money on a map upgrade.

In Ontario just to the West of the 401 exit at Ayr it becomes Google maps, to the East is is still Tele Atlas.

We now have to find a different map service that uses the ones from Tele Atlas so we can find out if it is worth spending the money on a map upgrade.

Actualy I fond in the past that the Google Maps and the latest TT map wern't the same even though they both came from Tela Atlas. What I found is that the TT map was an older verson than the Google Map.even after getting the latest TT map.

Last edited:
At least Google is giving our Canadian friends Streetview in 17 different cities so far.

@Garcor. Correct that Google maps was always at least one map version ahead of anything offered to TomTom pnd customers when TA was the supplier.

I noticed a number of streets in my area that had been updated on the 830 and 835 map that hadn't been updated in Google, so it may have been awhile since google last got an updated map from Tomtom.

Yes, I realize that, my point was that I think that google stopped updating the Teleatlas maps sometime before May, as my 830 map had corrections and additions that did not show up in google maps. Not since the 825 map did I notice anything show up in google before it showed up on a TomTom map update.

No reason I can think of for that to be affected. Garmin, Telenav, Mio and TomTom connected pnd's all offer Google Search, and none depend on a Google Map for the service.

Well Tele Atlas added something I hadn't seen before.
As I was closing in on Lower Simcoe St to have Map Share open the new railroad underpass connecting it with Simcoe St proper, in the three largest magnifications the map showed a 3D outline of some of the buildings (but not the bloody roundhouse!).

TeleAtlas has had that for quite awhile Arno, over a year that I know of. Perhaps it was new in your area tho.

Interesting. It is only shown in a very small core area of Toronto and Vancouver.but I do not see it in Montreal or other Provincial capitals.

Around last April (08), I had use of an HP310 using TeleAtlas maps. 3D building footprints was one of the features included with the mapping, but IIRC those didn't appear on the TomTom devices back then. I think TT started showing them last fall. Not all large cities have building footprints available in the mapping, in fact only about 40 NA cities when it first appeared and it may no be a whole lot more now. In Europe it's more common. North America not so much. In any case, I've found it to be mostly eye-candy, not assisting a whole lot with navigation. But it was kinda cool the first time I saw it in Atlanta. FWIW, Navteq offers the same feature.

Ask a Question