I need some opinions from everyone

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom one XL
Ok so I got a new idea on where to mount my TT in my truck but I'm not quite sure it's a good idea to put it there. My idea is to pull that vent I have circled on the dash out, head down to the machine shop at work and machine some aluminum round stock to fit the hole with a platform to mount my Arkon mount to. the only thing im worried about is how bad of an idea is it to take away that particular vent, I'm not even sure it works well to un steam the window. Once again I turn to you guys for good ideas and good input.

mount.jpg

dashshotpaint.jpg

Your idea is good, but what about the power Are you going to hardwire it into the truck and tuck all of the cabling up somewhere or are you going to string the power line across the dash? If you hardwire I think you'll be ok, but running the cables across the dash and such would be unsightly and potentially dangerous.

AFAIAC, I would not block that vent because of living in a cold climate. I remember driving for about 500 miles in -40C, around Christmas, and needing all the vents to keep the driver's side window unfrosted... The small one barely kept the sideview mirror clear.

Vent

I'm not sure, but I believe that vent clears your driver side window, if it works as well as my side window vent works...you'll never miss it.

Yes It's "suppose" to keep the drivers side window from fogging up or defog it, I just never paid attention to how much of a difference it really made. Maybe ill block it for a couple of days this week and see what happens it's pretty cold this week so we will see if it makes any difference.baggss I will Hardwire it for sure probably come up that vent tube from underneath and ill drill a hole through the piece i will be making in the shop and use a rubber grommet for a clean look,

If I was to chose to eliminate one of my ventilation ducts, it would be one in the center. But I wouldn't chose to eliminate one. I would leave the ventilation alone. I don't like having the line-of-sight to the GPS below the dash. I like the line-of-sight of a windshield mount. My preference is a dash mount right of the wheel, but left of center. An obvious and conspicuous location and it too has its draw backs. I use my windshield mount currently, but I am looking into using a home dock on the dash. Easy in and out, but it may not be to secure. I just have to figure out the power wires in the home dock. Just my 2?.

Just remember if you leave you tomtom in your car, leave the doors unlocked so if someone steals it they don't break your window.

Having it hard wire and taking it out is still an invite to have your car broken into because the thief thinks its in the center console or the glove box.

Just my three cents worth

Thats another reason why I want to mount it off to the left hand side as oposed to mounting id in the center, It's less visable off to the left but still in my view.

I just finished mounting my 720 in my Ranger pickup. I had previously mounted it on top of the dash using the TomTom provided adhesive disk and suction cup. I absolutely hated it that high and found it quite distracting. So I ordered the relevant ProClip stuff include the hard-wire stuff because I don't want the wires exposed and I popped it in finally. I'll post pictures in a day or so in the appropriate area of the forums. It does block the better part of half of the center vent, but it looks very nice and the proclip stuff works well.

Ask a Question