How To Shorten Your TT Battery Life

Have you always been cursed with less than average battery life on your cell phone, and other devices that you have charging on your cig lighter??

Think about this, when you start your car, the battery takes a great drain on it.

If you have any electrical items (TT, phone,laptop...) plugged into the cig lighter, it is connected directly to the battery. Since there is no one way flow of electricity, when cranking the motor, the battery takes power where-ever it can get it.

Hence taking some power out of your phone, TT, etc on a rapid discharge, which most items like that are not designed to accept.

Soooo if you want to save your battery life on W.H.Y., do NOT have it plugged into the cig lighter!!!!

I've been getting almost 3 hours on a single charge. BTW

Think about this, when you start your car, the battery takes a great drain on it.

If you have any electrical items (TT, phone,laptop...) plugged into the cig lighter, it is connected directly to the battery. Since there is no one way flow of electricity, when cranking the motor, the battery takes power where-ever it can get it.

Hence taking some power out of your phone, TT, etc on a rapid discharge, which most items like that are not designed to accept

Nice theory but I don't think that happens with consumer electronic devices. There are Jump-start devices available though wherein the electronics of these devices is specially design for said purpose.

Soooo if you want to save your battery life on W.H.Y.,

What does W.H.Y. mean?

I've been getting almost 3 hours on a single charge. BTW

What relevance does this have if the device is plugged to the cig lighter? The device gets charged while plugged in. If the device is not plugged into the cig lighter then your theory doesn't happen at all.

W.H.Y. = what have you

"Nice theory but I don't think that happens with consumer electronic devices."

prove me wrong please. What electronic battery powered devices have a "rapid discharge system"?

my reference saying that i am getting 3 hours on a charge is to let others know that the 45min -1 hour runtime that they are getting is not normal.

do you even understand my post?? of course if the device is not connected to the cig lighter, then nothing will happen. DUH!!

so i will explain it to you.... if you have it plugged into the cig lighter and then start the engine, you are significantly harming the lifespan of the battery. easypeasy

Almost all modern electronic devices have a diode in the input power circuit to prevent discharge through charging devices. If your car starter was trying to draw current from your GPS or cell phone, it would burn up the tiny wires in it's power circuit.
Myth busted!
Joe in NH

Almost all modern electronic devices have a diode in the input power circuit to prevent discharge through charging devices. If your car starter was trying to draw current from your GPS or cell phone, it would burn up the tiny wires in it's power circuit.
Myth busted!

Right on the dot, Kubotajoe:)

prove me wrong please. What electronic battery powered devices have a "rapid discharge system"?

None. Why would manufacturers incorporate a rapid discharge system in modern day devices where in fact prolonging battery life on a single charge has improved but still quite a dilema.

so i will explain it to you.... if you have it plugged into the cig lighter and then start the engine, you are significantly harming the lifespan of the battery. easypeasy

The only ways to shorten battery lifespan are; leaving the device in extreme hot or cold environments, keeping the device plugged-in for very long periods (although many devices now also have a protective circuit to prevent overcharging), and leaving a battery discharged for a very long time (rendering the battery useless).

I agree... The power from the TT only flows INTO the charger, not out of the charger. The circuit would have to be specially designed to allow the power to flow in both directions, and since there is no need for the TT to provide power FROM it's mini-USB connection, they wouldn't do the extra work and add the extra components (which cost $$$) to allow the unit to do such things.

There are these little things called DIODES....they are like a one way street for electricity. They can be had for about 20cents. I'm 100% sure all modern devices have these little one way street signs, preventing backcharge.

Unfortuntely you do not understand how automotive electrical systems work. When you start your car, everything electronic in the car is disconnecteced from the battery and charging system until the car starts. Once the vehicle is started all electroncis are reconnected to the battery. This is done either by a starter relay or relay within the starter motor.

Hello, f.n.g........<crickets>

Granted his idea is flawed but no need to get nasty.
I will also add one other point TT are what 5-9 vdc that would take a lot of dead battery to get down to where the voltage would be low enough to start draining backwards down out of your TT device even if a dieod were not in the circuit.

The newguy also staed he is only geting 3+ hr on a full charge I myself as of right now get 8hr's on my Rider granted is is Christmas new but I sure hope it willl stay that high for a very long time.

Last edited:

Ask a Question