How to make the tomtom 910 turn on and off with the car!

Hopefully, the next rev level of firmware will restore the full Power On / Off functionality. After reading about the issues with BT connectivity and voice quality, I am going to stick with un-modified version.

Do we have anyone who installed this tweak and encountered zero problems?

Last edited:
The file that restores the off feature seems to conflict with some others also. I noticed some had problems with blue tooth, when I installed the file I lost ipod connectivity. Guess we will indeed have to wait until TT might make an update. BTW I know the off feature was removed because of problems with the units turning off when hitting bumps in the highway. I drove over some major rough terrain while the off feature was activated and never did the unit drop off line.

Anyone know which firmware version of the source the modified code was done for? The ttsystem probably needs to reference specific hooks within the exact set of firmware files it was compiled for.

I'm still curious as to why TomTom decided to remove the auto-off feature. If it was to combat complaints about inadvertant hibernation/shutoff then IMHO, they took the easy way out. They could have simply designed in a timeout for when power is lost. Make it adjustable. Surely something like a ten-second hysteresis is enough to combat premature hibernation. Many things which are prone to false positives use the concept of a dead-timer.

firmwire 6.11 was the application that removed the auto shut off

Right. But I was interested in what version of the source code the modified ttsystem was compiled from. In other words, if it was taken from the same code snapshot as say 6.522 then perhaps the correct procedure is to first install or make sure 6.522 is installed and then replace ttsystem. This way, all the support code is there and their internal symbols are aligned. Perhaps people are having problems with the modified ttsystem because they are mixing it with a version of the firmware code that is of a different version than from the source code it was compiled. Another possibility is that the compiler that person used produces slightly different bytecode than the one that TomTom uses.

answer to your auto shut off

tomtom decided to disable the auto on/off in version 6.50-if you have a older version this would still work, thought you would loose traffic, the reason for disableing this feature is because of the massive amount of devices being stolen from vehicles, since the device turns itself off, alot of idiots were leavng them in there cars, resulting in calls to support wanting to track the devices, i think its the dumbest reason ever, but thats what were told
-a certified tomtom technician-
-yes i actually work for them-

I tried this fix and so far it does seem to perform as promised. The unit turns on and off with the power switch and Ipod is still recognized. I will do more evaluation over the next couple of days and post back with the results.

After utilizing this patch I can report that Ipod works fine as well as the mp3 player on tt. To date I can find nothing that is not operational and the unit does turn on and off with the power switch.

Last edited:
Does this tweak work with the 720? It's driveing me nuts that it doesn't have this feature already.

I tried post #34 and it did nothing for the 720 power wise after a reset. :( I guess I'll have to take it back and get a Garmin again. :mad:

Last edited:
Your 720 doesn't need a tweak. it's a standard option. Go to the battery saving preference and you will find it there.

Received my replacement TT a couple of days ago. To date I have been unable to restore my auto off feature. Anyone else tried to install this feature and it not work?

some news ? :confused:

One question :
is possible to create a TomTom Application that check every N minutes if the TTGO must be turned off ?:rolleyes:

the one options Im seeing is.... the Screen power options....

Turn of screen Always
Turn off between intersections
and Always on..

Is there a hidden menu Im not looking at?

the one options Im seeing is.... the Screen power options....

Turn of screen Always
Turn off between intersections
and Always on..

Is there a hidden menu Im not looking at?

Select an option here (such as Always On) and then continue, you will see a checkbox which says Turn off when power is lost

However (on my 920T) I am yet to find a way to turn it on automatically when I start the car - that would be cool!

Ask a Question