Hope this scares some thieves if they steal my tomtom again..

interesting to

see wht people will do to protect a 100$ device and lv their ft door open to thee house

Here is my widescreen version of the original that started this thread.

Homeland%20Security%20GPS.bmp

I have the XXL540S How can I get this image on it? I tried, but it will not work so far. I could not find a "splash" image in the root dir. of the unit.

When you first boot up your unit, there is an image that appears. It may be called splashw.bmp (notice the 'w') and should be in the root of the unit.

Here's the issue.........

Up to now, splash screens were of 2 sizes: the small size for 3.5" screens(320x240 pixels) and splashw.bmp for the 4.3" (480x272 pixels). While the new 540 model has a 5" screen, it appears to also have the same 480x272 pixel size for its splashw screen.

So......look again in the root of your unit for any *.bmp files, I think you'll find your current spashw screen.

Here's what you can try.....

Right click on the image you want to use in the previous post and use Save As to save it to your computer.

Then go here: Splash screen generator for TomTom and upload the image you saved. Select a 720 as your model as it will create the required splasw.bmp file you need. Then place it in the root of your unit and you should be good to go.

Good news! Now, mind you, removing the unit is a better loss prevention that anything.But I suspect you know that. :p

Another way to deter a thief from knowing where you live, is to go to your nearest police precint, and set that point as your HOME address. In the event that your GPS is stolen, and the thieves hit the HOME, it will take them straight to the police station, and im sure that they will be waiting for them

I don't know if the GO740 could actually be modified to ask a password when it boot and if the user fail, have the unit to "call home" with it's location. That would be cool!

If only the screen could come on when the GPS was being removed from its base.

Be very cautious of "impersonating a police officer" or "impersonating a government official". If that screen comes on while you're being pulled over you may have issues.

My unit allows you to set it up so a pin. It has to be entered after the splash screen. If you enter the wrong pin it doesnt do anything. It also has a place for your name and address. I just hope if it does get stolen the pawn shop or who ever will contact me

TomTom Rider 2 on Goldwing

My 04 goldwing with a TomTom Rider 2 on a ram mount. The rider 2 is waterproof, but the XM Radio isn't so I have a sandwich bag ziptied over it. We just can't get away from little baggies and zipties can we. To many things on Ram mounts too.

Attachments

• TomTom Rider 2a.jpg
    TomTom Rider 2a.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 347
Another way to deter a thief from knowing where you live, is to go to your nearest police precint, and set that point as your HOME address. In the event that your GPS is stolen, and the thieves hit the HOME, it will take them straight to the police station, and im sure that they will be waiting for them
I would assume you live in a small town. I live in a large city and the police would have no idea if the thieves drove by the station, walked by the station, or even walked in the front door and looked around. The idea is great, but the practicality is non-exhistant.

LOL nice. I'd probably put something along this lines of "if this was found or purchased, please contact (contact info here)." You never know. :eek:

I would assume you live in a small town. I live in a large city and the police would have no idea if the thieves drove by the station, walked by the station, or even walked in the front door and looked around. The idea is great, but the practicality is non-exhistant.

Not only that, but why would a thief want to go to the GPS owner's home?

Not only that, but why would a thief want to go to the GPS owner's home?

If a car has been stolen, with a set of house keys in the glove locker and a GPS showing the house that the keys fit, as "Home".

The answer is one big YES!

DHS Logo

I was curious about all the commotion over the splash screen message; until I saw the _actual_ image that used the DHS logo...perhaps I can shed some light on the issue.

I _am_ a DHS employee (NOT law-enforcement). Three years ago I commissiioned a coin (challenge coin, same size as a silver dollar)...they fit in a western belt buckle, I used the CBP logo and a picture of our old Port of Entry. I ordered several hundred of them, knowing that my fellow troops would want one...

When I posted some fliers offering them for sale, I was told in no uncertain terms that I would _not_ be selling them, it was against CBP regulations for anyone other than CBP proper to have or make anything using the CBP logo.

Nuiff sed, I took the fliers down, anticipating a loss of over $1000.00. Luckily, another troop was interested, but when I told him what I had been told, he said he wasn't going to sell them inside CBP and took the majority of them off my hands, cutting my loss to a couple of C-notes.

DHS Logo, PS

PS:

That said, I have downloaded the splash screen BMP, and I _will_ install it if such can be done with my TTG.

The worst thing is, you can't leave it in your car these days without some a- hole stealing it...they're the ones that really need to get a life...:mad:

Ask a Question