TomTom utterly, hopelessly incompetent

For the past month I've been trying to get an issue with TomTom Traffic on my Tilt resolved, and it's been one of the single worst customer service experiences I've ever had.

The issue is that I get an error 1506 when the traffic information tries to update. So the traffic service just doesn't work.

For the first two weeks of this ordeal TomTom claimed that there were problems with their servers, and every time I called they would tell me that the problem would be resolved on their end soon, and that if I was still having problems to call back the next day.

At some point they agreed to escalate the problem to their engineering department. I have absolutely no evidence that such a department exists; I have heard nothing from them. TomTom customer service has no way of contacting this department other than by email, and these emails are apparently simply being ignored (despite the fact that they have been "flagged" as high priority).

The issue has been escalated twice now to the engineering department, and still no response, in about two weeks.

So earlier this week a supervisor agreed to escalate the issue to the Customer Relations department, as the problem was no longer a technical issue with Traffic, but rather that their support system is broken (I am being ignored). Guess what? No response whatsoever from Customer Relations.

I called again today and apparently the Customer Relations department is one guy, and he's very busy, so it might take a while for him to get to my case. That is, there seems to be one and only one person in the entire TomTom organization who can address my issue.

This has been simply pathetic. Often when I call for support I have to wait on hold for quite a while (today, for example, for about a half hour). It's frightening to think how much of my time they've wasted.

If anyone here has any kind of contact information for someone at TomTom who's minimally competent, that would be terrific.

In any case, I strongly discourage people from buying TomTom's products.

Thanks.

I had the same problem

For a week I got the same error - even before my subscription expired.

I renewed and it it worked for a week but they have now got an entirely new problem

Last night I had 13 entries for traffic on a road I drive all the time - it had 6 overall sections each with a detailed section between them

The bad thing is that the overall sections had incremental values for the delay so that instead of 35min delay it was showing 1hr 25hr delay

Been updating the ticket and just this afternoon I get a "ticket closed" email.....

To repeat your message in numerous threads is somewhat counterproductive, I think.

This is now the single worst customer service experience I've ever had. The level of sheer incompetence that TomTom continues to display is simply mind-boggling.

I still have not heard from the "engineering" department, or from Customer Relations. I got an email today saying that my Traffic subscription has been refunded. No other explanation.

So this seems to be an admission on TomTom's part that the Traffic product does not work.

The thing is, Traffic is the only reason why I bought Navigator in the first place.

So I'm trying to get a refund for Navigator 6 and the maps that I purchased. The thing is, TomTom cannot locate my original order! I have the order date, the Transaction ID from my credit card, the amount, the credit card number, etc., but they have no evidence of the order. Somehow it's unsurprising that TomTom is not even able to look up an order.

So, a warning to potential TomTom customers: Traffic does not work with Navigator, and TomTom seems to concede this.

To repeat your message in numerous threads is somewhat counterproductive, I think.

Real helpful :mad: about as helpful as TT has been

Personally I posted here and in the general section to try and see if this was a Navigator or general TT issue with someone with a Go is not going to read in here.

The co-incidence of them starting to sell TT 900's and this issue makes me seriously think this is a problem with their own collected data and the state supplied data colliding

The fact that Dagordon just had his traffic sub refunded is more than a little interesting

This is now the single worst customer service experience I've ever had. The level of sheer incompetence that TomTom continues to display is simply mind-boggling.

I still have not heard from the "engineering" department, or from Customer Relations. I got an email today saying that my Traffic subscription has been refunded. No other explanation.

So this seems to be an admission on TomTom's part that the Traffic product does not work.

The thing is, Traffic is the only reason why I bought Navigator in the first place.

So I'm trying to get a refund for Navigator 6 and the maps that I purchased. The thing is, TomTom cannot locate my original order! I have the order date, the Transaction ID from my credit card, the amount, the credit card number, etc., but they have no evidence of the order. Somehow it's unsurprising that TomTom is not even able to look up an order.

So, a warning to potential TomTom customers: Traffic does not work with Navigator, and TomTom seems to concede this.

Is the sub still valid or did they cancel the traffic sub altogether?

They canceled the subscription; their solution to my problem was to cancel the subscription and refund my money, without explanation.

Tilt and Nav6

Before purchasing TTnav6, did you ask TT if it was supported on the Tilt? When I purchased my Tilt, I was told by TT that they did not support the Tilt. Yes, I know that it can be loaded and works, esp. if you hack your Tilt to Kaiser settings. When I had issues data connecting my Tilt to my 910, and was on the phone with TT, they thought I had Nav6 on my Tilt and were not going to offer support, until I made sure they understood it was the data connection between the two that was an issue.

Good Luck.

By the way, I have had excellent TT support. Could you present any attitude on the phone?

I still have not heard from the "engineering" department, or from Customer Relations.
Engineering dept.? Right. I think you are being fed a line . How would an engineering dept. be able to help you anyway? You want to speak with someone who deals with Traffic service, and I am pretty sure that that ain't "Engineering"!

I have the order date, the Transaction ID from my credit card, the amount, the credit card number, etc...
Maybe you can just ask the ccard company to do a chargeback then? I should imagine that TT will then get in touch with you if they disagree.

As jdwilson3 said, maybe it is the way in which you present your case? Being nice can be a big help.

Engineering dept.? Right. I think you are being fed a line . How would an engineering dept. be able to help you anyway? You want to speak with someone who deals with Traffic service, and I am pretty sure that that ain't "Engineering"!

Maybe you can just ask the ccard company to do a chargeback then? I should imagine that TT will then get in touch with you if they disagree.

As jdwilson3 said, maybe it is the way in which you present your case? Being nice can be a big help.

I just heard back after calling and restarting the ticket

The answer - yeah Traffic is currently stuffed

Considering that Navigator 6 has been dropped(note it is listed under "original products"), it does not surprise me that many subscription based services like traffic just will not talk to your unit properly(since they are focused on NavCore 7 and 8).

I just wish that Tomtom had at least posted something saying that Navigator 6 is no longer a supported product and to offer some sort of "upgrade" program to let us buy one of the newer products at a discount.

They offer a "customer loyalty discount" to buy new units on their site. I wish it was a coupon you could use wherever, as the prices in their online store are higher than most other sources - even with the "discount".

If you want to upgrade Navigator (and you are in North America), you are out of luck for now - no options.

There seems to be the same problem with downloading maps for Nav6 to TomTom Home 1.5x. They feed the customers a line of crap about servers, then they say its a technical problem and they are working on it (I am at this stage) and then they refund the money, I guess.

I think I'll contact Consumer Affairs - it sounds like fraud to me.

Ask a Question