Home will not install on XP

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom One
Cannot install Home. Using TomTom One and Windows XP. If I allow the autorun to download the file, it does so, then nothing occurs. (winlatest.zip). I also went to the site and manually downloaded the file (tomtomhome2winlatest.exe) and tried that. When i double click nothing occurs. I disabled all virus protections and tried to install it that way. Nothing happened. Any clue?

BTW the PC does see the tomtom ONE as a device and I can look in the directories on it if I wish to do so.

thanks

Have you a firewall installed and perhaps it is blocking the running of the application. Check that.

firewall

I did have the windows firewall on. turned it off and it didnt help. When I double click on the application (Home) it gives me an hourglass for half a second and then nothing. I check on the task manager and it is not running as a process or application.

In control panel-->Add/Remove Programs, do you see reference to TomTom Home installed? And, **most importantly**, do you see reference to Vc_MergeModuleTOMSI installed? This one MUST be installed for TTHome to run.

If you don't see the second run listed, that probably is the problem.

If you see BOTH installed, try removing BOTH in Control Panel and try the reinstall again.

I had the same problem on two different computers, the exe file just would not run when started. Never did find out why the Home 2.5 executable would not run.
I ended up downloading and installing an older version of home. To my surprise, the first time I ran the program it updated itself to Home 2.5 with out any problems.

I had the same problem on two different computers, the exe file just would not run when started. Never did find out why the Home 2.5 executable would not run.
I ended up downloading and installing an older version of home. To my surprise, the first time I ran the program it updated itself to Home 2.5 with out any problems.

Good information.

Out of curiousity, where did you find a lower version of Home to install?

(oh, also notice it is your first post. Welcome to the forum!)

In control panel-->Add/Remove Programs, do you see reference to TomTom Home installed? And, **most importantly**, do you see reference to Vc_MergeModuleTOMSI installed? This one MUST be installed for TTHome to run.

If you don't see the second run listed, that probably is the problem.

If you see BOTH installed, try removing BOTH in Control Panel and try the reinstall again.

I checked and neither are present in the Add/remove programs sections.

I would like to try to install an older version as the other post recommended, any idea where to get one?

I don't think an older version is going to work for you. Try the dl from TomTom again. The link is here

I'm having this problem too... just bought a One 3rd edition, and I even tried the older version of HOME as outlined above. Still just an hourglass cursor for a second, then nothing. have there been any updates to the problem?

thanks in advance--

--rick

Try uninstalling Home and reinstalling.

problem is, it's not actually installed. the .exe file is there in the folder where I saved it, but when I double-click it to run the install, nothing happens. i have deleted the file and re-downloaded it (a couple of times now, wonder if that's making it worse...)

The file should be located here: "C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\TomTomHOME.exe"

See where it is in yours.

The file should be located here: "C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\TomTomHOME.exe"

See where it is in yours.

in my C:\ Program Files folder, there is no TomTom folder at all. WHen I downloaded the file from the TomTom website, I saved it to a generic folder on the C drive where I dump all downloaded .exe files. then when I run them, they generally create a folder for themselves wherever they want. should I create a folder in Program Files called "TomTom HOME 2" and move the .exe file there? (somehow I don't think that's it...)

Goto this link and move to post#5.

You'll find a link there to version 2.2 of Home. Try installing that and then see if you get the update to 2.5.

Ah!! Depending on whether or not dhn's suggestion works, you might try downloading the file from TomTom to your desktop... at least you can try that. My suspicion is that the folder you save exe files to may be 'downstream' from 'program files' directory. The programmers at TomTom aren't the best :rolleyes: ... as we've seen with recent firmware releases. They may not have written the code just right on where to install things.

Just a thought. But hopefully installing an older vers first... then let it upgrade to the latest will work for you.

Hope this helps.

Goto this link and move to post#5.

You'll find a link there to version 2.2 of Home. Try installing that and then see if you get the update to 2.5.

w00t! yeah, that did the trick. thnx a bunch! and yes, it automatically updated to 2.5!

sweeeeeeeet...

--rick

FORGET ABOUT WHATEVER YOU READ IN THIS POST, I had the same problem and I tried several things. I even contacted TOMTOM directly and they said install the latest version, they doesnt even know what is the solution. The solution is Microsoft .NET Framework. Your computer should have .NET installed before you can execute the TTHome setup. Download it from here http://www.microsoft.com/NET Install it, restart your computer and try again.

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback and am glad that solution worked for you; however, as you can see, others got it to work without the framework dl and install.

I had this same problem on my mom's PC -- download and run, but nothing happens. But at work, no problem at all -- download, run, installation screen immediately appears.

I'm pretty sure that "saud" is right -- that it's an issue with the Microsoft .NET Framework. I program in .NET, so obviously I had everything installed here. I don't think she's had anything installed on her PC that would require the .NET Framework.

It also makes sense that some people would report that it works without specifically going out to install .NET. If you installed something in the past that installed the .NET Framework, you're all set. And I would assume that if 2.2 doesn't use .NET, but 2.5 does, then the 2.2->2.5 upgrade would include a .NET Framework installation as part of its process (again, without you doing anything special).

I'm just glad to know what's going on! Thanks!

Ask a Question