Home won't install

TomTom Model(s)
one XL
Having a similar problem as others have posted in the past I found through searches, but none of the fixes have worked for me.

Windows XP pro SP 3

When I try to install TomTom Home using the "latest" link, nothing happens. I get the question do I want to run the software, say yes and then nothing. Does the same thing in safe mode and the same thing on my laptop. (also Win XP pro)

I have installed the NET framework and visual C++.

I did have success installing an older version I found online. (2.3.192) When I try to update that to the latest version, I get "an error occured" and a link to DL the newer version. Download that version, and I get the same routine with nothing happening when I try to install. I have tried removing my installed version before installing the new version, no help. I can't update my maps with the 2.3.192 version, I get a null error connecting to the server.

Surely I am not the only dinosaur running win XP? :)

Any ideas?

Hardly. That's what is running on 3 machines here, all with current copies of Home. Will need a bit to think on this one.

Just out of curiosity, if you open Task Manager, do you see either the application or associated task running once you've executed the exe?

Nothing in task manager. When I hit the executable for version 2.9.2.2837 I see that in the task list along with Dr Watson because that version will generate an error report. It goes away when I either send or don't send the report. The winlatest version just has a very brief flash of the installer and then it goes away on it's own very quickly. (1 second or so)

The 2.3.1.92 version I have launches the installer just fine and loads the program. That's the version I have installed, but it doesn't let me get a map.

I am assuming in my fairly computer ignorant brain that there is some sort of change in the installer itself and am missing some key piece of software. I had an updated version of TT home on this same computer as recently as August 2012 or thereabouts. Had to reload the system last month and TT home has not cooperated since. No other issues on this machine that I have noticed with other programs.

Can you explain what you mean by:

The 2.3.1.92 version I have launches the installer just fine and loads the program. That's the version I have installed, but it doesn't let me get a map.

I have an email from TomTom that says new map is available, click a link. I do that, and it launches TT Home. I get an error that says "task URIs are not supported by this version of Home".

If I just try to get a map update through TomTom Home, then it says "The following problem occured. You can continue, but functionality may not be available. Error when contacting server : null"

My device connects to TT Home just fine. I can get QuickGPS fix, mapshare updates and safety cameras OK and they install with no problems. Just can't get the new map updates. Current map on the device is original to when I bought it years ago and is most definitely out of date. I bought the 1 year plan last month and based on the emails I have gotten it should be available through my account.

Just to clarify, after the revo uninstall I attempted to install the newer versions of home to no avail and just installed the older 2.3.1.92 version which does install. Still get the same errors if I try to update to the newer version of TT Home

Last edited:
According to control panel add/remove programs I have the following versions installed.

2.0 SP2
3.0 SP2
3.5 SP1
4 Client Profile
Visual C++ 2005 redistributable (as in the link you provided above)

As I recall, the later versions of NET wouldn't install, I assume they are for Win 7 or 8 or even Vista.

Wondering if I should try to uninstall the older versions prior to 3.5? Again, assuming the newer versions would automatically supplant the older versions and it wouldn't matter.

May be worth a shot. Uninstall and then use the link I provided to re-install. As I recall, that link was there prior to V or W7.

One thing I'd be looking at, just for grins, is the system error log for applications.

Right click My Computer and select Manage
Click on + for Event Viewer in the left column to expand it
Select Application

Scroll down and look for any critical errors (or even warnings) at about the time you are trying to run Home.

Then select System and see if there were any system errors reported about that time, too.

What a fun time! Had some trouble with re-installing updates with the NET software, finally had to do a system restore back to this morning before I started.

Did not help my issue now or at any point I was deleting some of the NET software.

Checked the error log and it's not generating anything when I try to run the install of TT Home.

Still stumped. :(

I am haaving a similar problem. When i hook up my tomtom to my computer it asks if i want to connect to my computer. I click to connect & nothing happens, just a screen on the tomtom saying tomtom start. What's up??

Still trying anything I can think of or find online.

I managed to get version 2.9.0.2709 installed by downloading it through cNet. However, as soon as I open it, a message pops up that says a critical update is available. If I hit continue, I get an error that says "Setup Launcher Unicode has encountered a problem and needs to close." Same if I try to hit the X and close the warning window.

I had a similar problem installing Quicktime. The solution offered on a similar forum to this (for quicktime) said try downloading it with a different browser. Well sure enough, when I tried it from IE instead of Chrome, it worked. Didn't help with this however. :(

I do get a digital certificate error when downloading from IE. After bypassing that, same symptoms using the winlatest file (nothing happens) or with the 2.9.2.2837 file. (setup launcher error)

Hoping something here rings a bell with somebody?

For the Setup Launcher problem, I would recommend that you run the .NET cleanup tool to remove all of the old .NET framework. Then run Windows update to reinstall .NET from scratch. Have seen this problem before. Here's a link about the tool from MS's developer's network:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx

I've re installed .NET a couple times.

Making some "progress". ha! Still getting errors if I try to update via launching home and having it do the update. The so called progress would be now I get a specific error if I try to launch the "winlatest" version. Before, that would do nothing. The error I am getting is......

"An error (-5001 : 0xffffec75) has occurred while running setup. Please make sure you have finished any previous setup and closed other applications. If error still occurs, please contact vendor : TOMTOM (##DURL_DOWNLOAD##)"

And the details....

Error Code: -5001 : 0xffffec75
Error Information:
>SetupNew\SetupDLL.cpp (123)
PAPP:TomTom HOME
PVENDOR:TomTom (##IDURL_DOWNLOAD##)
PGUID:CE325D55-FCAF-4273-BB79-069BB8747270
$1.3.3.308PAK
@Windows XP Service Pack 3 (2600) BT_OTHER 376.21

Ask a Question