hands free external car speaker lineout aux in?

I'm thinking about buying a 720 or 920, but will only do so if I can get my my phone calls on my car speakers with the line out feature, can somebody confirm this?

Has anyone found a mod or attempted a mod to fix this issue? Also what about getting the tomtom to come in over the speakers however, not needing to use the fm transmitter or switch it over to aux on the head unit?

IE: Plugging in an audio over ride of some sort...

Has anyone found a mod or attempted a mod to fix this issue? Also what about getting the tomtom to come in over the speakers however, not needing to use the fm transmitter or switch it over to aux on the head unit?

IE: Plugging in an audio over ride of some sort...
Just talked to tech support about this a few days ago, and they acknowlege that not having FM out or line out for the hands-free is a shortcoming. They expect to include this in a future release. Meanwhile, my prior post on this explains what technological issues may have delayed its inclusion. It's around here somewhere as this topic was just covered in the last week.

Bringing this back from the dead...
Any updates on the issue of using the aux line out for hands free calling? Any firmware fixes maybe? I would really like to get this working.

Its not possible using the TomTom, in the end I bought a car handsfree kit that does give me sound from the phone through the car speakers and also alows a Bluetooth audio connection from the TomTom through the car speakers.
Shame the TomTom cannot handle handsfree via the sound set up I want, in the end I gave up waiting and got a more satisfactory solution - Mike

That sounds very interesting, I would like to hear more about your new setup. Maybe its a potential solution for now, until the good people at tomtom can update our software!

I put some small details in This Thread which should explain about the car kit - best in car gadget I have purchased for quite a while, only problem is these are only available for sale in the UK, although you should be able to find one on E-Bay that the seller will post across the pond - Mike

Connection to phone and ipod

SO I've seen a few posts about not being able to hear phone conversations over the fm transmitter on the car stereo, and even though its unfortunate I could live with it. My problem is that while I'm listening to my Ipod and the directions on the car stereo and someone happens to call me I can answer, hear the telephone conversation over the tom tom, but then when the conversation is over I can't get the ipod connection to work again. Looking at the Tom Tom screen the music is supposedly playing but there is no sound coming out of the car stereo. I've checked that the fm transmitter option is still on and that the Ipod is still playing but the only way for me to get it to play over the car stereo is to turn off the Tom Tom (720) and restart everything. Is there something really obvious I'm not doing? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. i've also just updated the firmware so I doubt there was a fix in the last 2 weeks, but I could be wrong.

Thanks.

Do you use the PLUS data services?

I found that the music jukebox can crash when you hit a data dead zone. 2G networks cut out the data whenever you make a call, so it acts like a dead zone that crashes the jukebox.

What phone company are you on? I found a different data configuration for T-mobile USA that doesn't seem to crash the jukebox as often.

I guess I'm just being optimistic that someone will discover a way to resolve this "phone audio through line out" problem. I really don't want to have to shell out for an additional system either (ie: the "IO play" solution). So any rumors or updates floating around out there? I and I'm sure a few others out there would be curious to know.

Ask a Question