Google map, what's the point?

TomTom Model(s)
I been trying to navigate New York city without going on a parkway, I have a commercial vehicle and it's not allowed.
no matter what I do I can not navigate away from the parkways, be it by Alternative, which only allow you to use it one time, by prepare route, point A to B only, itinerary planning its a joke as well, you have to make to many way point, and if you miss one you'll be going in circles for ever. they all will direct you over to a parkway at one point or another.. try it goto Waldorf hotel on E 49th st.. from Albany NY..
So I tried Google maps, which will allow you to drag and drop the route you want to go.. Tom Tom needs to have this fetcher. the sad part is you can't download the map!
Google Map only allow you to download business address (poi) that is marked on there map, but not the route.
So what is the point of having Google maps?

Thank for the reply...that solution is not very practical on the road, and its time consuming to say the least.
The whole point of getting a Tom Tom was to get rid of using the computer mapping program, I used Microsoft Street and tip for years for trips, but it has its limitation as well, but you can manipulate the route the way you want to go, but you have to print it and take it with you.
what I have read all gps units act this way. you have no control on how you go with out using way points at every intersection so you don't zig zag down the route.
Tom Tom need to add a heading to the planned route saying ,, my way,,, and let us manipulate the route the way we want it... as far as Google maps goes its just one step thats not necessary, and a waste of time.

Yes you are right it isn't practical.
When Im on the road, I tend to view the route before I move my car.
I use the avoid part of route feature and it has helped me out plenty.

I tried that , but it only avoided part of the road and then routed me back to it?
Your saying you can eliminate the whole road?

eliminate whole roads?

Hi, I tried to do it but only able to do on link entry at a time. Just got the TT XL, am I missing something?

eliminating road only creates more problems, you start chasing the route to preventing it from taking you out of your way, and it can add hours to your trip if your not careful. user friendly its not.
For the amount of money we paid for these!
Tom Tom should be ashamed of them self... and correct the problem with the interface..
we all need to complain to Tom Tom to fix the problem..

If you think about it, GPS navigation is still a fairly young technology. Sure it may have been around for a long time, but not for most consumers. I wouldn't expect there to be support for vehicle type in a consumer product for at least another two years or so.

If you look for a commercial product, then I am sure there are systems out there for truck drivers which do what you need them to do.

The whole "Google maps" integration is a way for people to get POI information into their products easily. Just because the maps may be different would not change the location of POIs.

routing via intersections

I been trying to navigate New York city without going on a parkway, I have a commercial vehicle and it's not allowed.
no matter what I do I can not navigate away from the parkways,
Google Map only allow you to download business address (poi) that is marked on there map, but not the route.
So what is the point of having Google maps?

I agree that this is one of the biggest limitations of my GPS. One thing that I am trying is to add some important intersections as favorites, this way, I can make these way points and force the route in the direction that I want. I have not looked yet to see if I can route via an address, and then put in an intersection. If they ever let us easily move routes via Google that will help, but certainly not while you are on the road.
j

Truck routes

Customer service has informed me that they're working on making setting for truck routes like Garmin has. I have a 2610 that keeps me on truck routes and keeps me off parkways. Hope to see it soon.

Ask a Question