GO 825 Live briefly shutting down

dpk

TomTom Model(s)
GO 825 Live
GO825 Live operates fine, suddenly when driving screen indicates 'Shutting down in 10 seconds...', a second or two later it refreshes the screen and resumes navigating properly. Only happens when travelling on a route- doesn't happen otherwise. Any ideas?:confused:

Perhaps the cable from the cig lighter to the unit is loose and the unit 'thinks' it has lost external power. Then, it detects a signal again from the cable and proceeds normally.

That connection between the charger and the cigarette lighter socket is definitely the first place to look.The charger is only held in place by the two springy arms on the sides and can easily get pushed out by vibration and the spring on the centre terminal. Or the connections in the socket can easily get dirty or corroded (especially if it has been actually used with a cigarette lighter!)

Second place to check is the internal wiring to the cigarette lighter socket itself.

Do you have a passenger who can look at the green LED on the charger when it next happens? Either of those issues will make it flicker or go out.

If that LED is always solidly on, then you need to look further up the chain, i.e. the cable or the connection to the unit itself.

Thanks to all

Thanks for the comments- I have 'fiddled' with the lighter/cable/connection and all seems good. I will spend an hour getting it more permanently fixed!!:thumb:

I've had the same issue with my new 825EU. As you say, it only happens when a route is planned, and only then after a spoken instruction. We've turned off the "power down when external power removed" option, so on ours, after the spoken instruction, the screen dims and the unit then says "Charging battery" then goes back to normal.

On ours, it happens when the car is stationary (so no vibration problems) or moving and also with two different power leads in two different cars, so it does seem to be something in the unit rather than actual power supply.

As ours is only a few days old, I've just sent it back for a replacement. Hopefully the new one won't do this!

Cheers, Steve

Ask a Question