Go 730 - Downloading voices turns sound OFF

Hello,

I just got my new Go 730 a few days ago and love SO MUCH about it... but am finding myself annoyed to no end by the following:

After using TomTom HOME (version 2.3.1.92) to download voices to my 730 the sound gets shut off and nothing can be heard-- just dead silence.

The opening drum fanfare when the 730 is first turned on, which I used to hear, is also silenced.

I am downloading to a SD memory card. (Digital Extreme 'professional grade' ultra high speed). The card is having success at collecting files via HOME.

Experimenting, I removed the card and restarted the unit to rely on its internal memory, and the sound was restored (opening fanfare and 'Susan' computer voice). Replaced the SD card, and the sounds (fanfare & Susan) continued to be heard, even with the card in... until I once again used TomTom HOME to download more voices, and then once again after downloading and installing the voices the sounds were all turned off again.

Perhaps I should just leave well enough alone and if I ever get 'Susan the computer voice' to work again simultaneously with the SD card installed, just leave it at that and not try to download any more voices-- but that would really suck, I think. A few bugs are one thing, but this is kinda silly.... why is this unit seemingly having so much trouble playing nice between the internal memory and a companion SD card?? Or maybe a better question is: what is TomTom HOME doing during its download and install of voices that is causing the sounds of the unit to be completely shut off??

Any good tips would be SO VERY MUCH appreciated !!!!! :)

Thanks!!

Additional info from the 730 itself:

App. 8.010 (9369/080529) OS: 190943
GPS v1.21 Boot 5.5010
Map: North_America_2GB v800.1727

Every time I use the simulated 730 using TomTom Home and I go to use the unit in the car I get an error saying the voice is not loaded. Then I have to reload the voice and check the settings again. I am not using a SD card in my unit. Not sure if this is the same similiar issue but there is no sound until I select a new voice.

Startup noises are non-exisitant after it does this. I did do a pin reset and it restored the orginial sound in the beginning. Once I do the simulated tomtom using home it goes away again. However when I get it in the car the other sounds it suppose to make and the voice direction (once I restore the voice again) are working.

Sean

Last edited:
It's a known bug in Home's software such that when you use the emulator (Operate My Go) and disconnect the device, you lose the computer voice setting. You must reset the voice every time.

Hello,

Thanks for the responses in trying to help.... appreciated!

[-] With the SD card in, the pin re-set unfortunately does not help to get the sound turned back on-- everything on the unit is still dead silent. All it really does, from what I can tell, is lose the clock time and some other settings...

** If I take out the SD card and 'reboot' the unit with the card out, the sounds come back (both the opening fanfare and voices).

** If I put the SD card back in and 'reboot', the sounds all go away and the unit is dead silent (in all regards) again.

So... it may just come down to copying some necessary files from the internal memory to the SD card (which I can access via a separate card reader).

But which ones, specifically ?? I would like to get as detailed a handle on this problem as I can, so that I can deal with it in the future if it reappears, without just copying 'a bunch of files' over and getting lucky when 'something sticks'.... I guess I would still like to know WHY this is happening.

And I also know that I am just going to leave TomTom HOME out of the equation in some regards in the future-- I may get brave with some third-party stuff, or POIs, voices, etc... ; but I don't see myself going into HOME's voices section anymore....

Thanks again to anyone taking a stab at helping..!!!

You could try copying the complete LoquendoTTS folder and all its contents to the sd card.

-Make sure you have a complete backup of your unit (using Explorer) before you try it.

I'm having a similar issue except with the maps. I never associated it with the "Operate My Go" function until reading this. I loose voices and the maps that are loaded on my SD card. I will try loading it again this evening and NOT trying to "Operate My Go". :) I thought I had a failing SD card or unit. Just goes to show what reading the forums will teach you. A valuable resource indeed.

I'm having a similar issue except with the maps. I never associated it with the "Operate My Go" function until reading this. I loose voices and the maps that are loaded on my SD card. I will try loading it again this evening and NOT trying to "Operate My Go". :) I thought I had a failing SD card or unit. Just goes to show what reading the forums will teach you. A valuable resource indeed.

I don't know how people EVER managed to keep at peace with their computerized devices before computerized forums were invented.... :)

As for HOME, it turns out that I also remember having clicked on "Operate My Go" during the session that eventually lead to the silencing of the voices --- but I'm not sure that it was a direct effect because HOME never actually operated my 730-- it just said something along the lines of 'this feature not supported for your device'.

You could try copying the complete LoquendoTTS folder and all its contents to the sd card.

-Make sure you have a complete backup of your unit (using Explorer) before you try it.

Yes !! This worked !!

Thank you very much !!! :D

Ask a Question