geo caching

S

stuckie

anyone know what the best gps for geocaching is and where i can get a cheap one??

Last edited by a moderator:
Do a websearch for the GeoMate Jr.

Great little gps designed specifically for geocaching, and cheap at around $70 IIRC. Dead simple to use and pretty darn accurate.

Geomate Jr's are more geared for kids. I'd suggest one of the cheaper Garmin models. You don't have to have a bunch of bells and whistles to geocache. My first one didn't have maps. I now have a Garmin Oregon 450t with all the bells and whistles you can think of.

anyone know what the best gps for geocaching is and where i can get a cheap one??

I've owned far more handhelds than automotive units, and have found something just under 3000 caches with them so far. I'm going to recommend something to you that I think you'll not regret down the road.

When you say "cheap", and I'm assuming "new" factors into that, or you'd be out on eBay, I'd have to recommend that you purchase nothing that doesn't include a high sensitivity GPS chipset. Older models are just going to make the hobby harder than it needs to be.

At the low end, I'd recommend a Garmin Venture HC. It's a good, solid handheld with most of the features you'll need to get the job done.

On the other hand -- my recommendation that I don't think you'll regret...

For not a WHOLE lot more money, you need to visit www.rei.com on the 27th of this month. They're going to be selling the Garmin Oregon 450 for $249. They have international shipping ( http://www.rei.com/help/intl_order.html ) and can export the Garmin units. Even with the shipping and additional aggravation, you'll be paying WAY less than you'll be paying there.

In terms of features for price, this deal is positively impossible to beat. You get "paperless" caching (and a whole bunch of other caching-friendly features), a good 3-axis compass and a touchscreen for quick data entry, and a whole PILE of things you'll never see on the lower end units. Consider your budget carefully, ask yourself if you're at all serious about the hobby. If you are, you need to put this on your shortest of short lists.

When you receive it, you will also want to be sure to update to the most recent beta firmware ( Garmin: Oregon x50 Updates & Downloads ). It adds some very useful caching features and the bugs in this beta are VERY minor.

Last edited:

Ask a Question