Fried Dead SDHC Card

Last night I purchased a 32gb Transcend SD card. They guy said he bought on ebay from China and it didnt work in all this devices but seemed to work in some. New the card is $110 I think, I gambled and paid $30. When I got home I ran HD Tune on the card, the first run said 63% of the data had bad sectors or somehing. I formatted the card in a USB reader using SDFormatter V2.0. I reran HD Tune and it now said 14% of the data was bad. I was hopeful. I put the card in my canon camera and did quick format, repeated other tests same results. I put back in Canon camera and did low level format. It crashed so I shut the camera off and removed the card. Now the card is completly totally dead. It will not be recognised by anyhting. XP detetects drive E but when you double chick it is says to please insert disk. I get the same error message if I try to format or do anything that tries to acccess the card.

Is there any software out there that will access this card somehow? I dont really care about the data on the card I just want to somehow revive it. Kind of a bummer because I was pretty happy to have a 32gb card

The card's probably a fake 32GB, Ebay from China is a dead giveaway.

They fudge the firmware so the card says it's 32GB, but when you attempt to use a larger part of the card it just reports bad sectors.

I'm not sure if they can be "reflashed" to their correct size, so you have a working 512mb (or whatever the card truly is).

Try googling "fix fake flash drive". Tons of info shows up.

Last edited:
Try the steps here.

Good news - from quick web surfing, most Transcend 32GB fakes are actually 16GB. So if you can fix it, you still end up with a reasonably big card.

mvl,

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't that site mostly deal with fixing a Flash drive/reader?
ChipGenius says it identifies a flash drives VID and PID to find the manufacture.

If you have a SD card in a reader wouldn't ChipGenius return the VID and PID of the card reader not the SD card.

Machnumber2 already mentioned using the Panasonic SD Formatter that is probably the best out there.

I don't know if this one could help but maybe he could also try Hard Disk Drive Low Level Format Tool
After the low-level formatting/wiping of the SDHC card with it, a msg pops up: "Low-level format is done. You will have to create partitions and format this drive." Use the Panasonic SDFormatter, not WinXP for formatting/partitioning.

I hope that works for you Machnumber2

Thanks for all the suggestions, I tried them all. Mvl I sent to that website and spent most of the time reading up on what is going on with the fake flash drives and other equipment from China. I just got ripped off buying Tenergy batteries from china. These batteries reached about 40% of thier rated capacity after I broke them in twice with a prof. battery analyzer tester. Again the card was not recognized, however, during the benchmark test, the software was measuring the speed of something, so maybe it is possible to access this card.

Malouff, Thx for that link. The software looks good but doesnt recognize my card, it just shows the hard drives.
Its pretty clear that this is a fake card, but it would be nice to get 16gb of it working again.

Ask a Question