910 is Toast...Fried!

My daughter, who is 5 years old and curious like me, loves to plug things up and mess with things when unattended thanks to my wife...anyway, bless their hearts, Plugged up a cheapy walmart adapter typically used for a portable DVD player, was a multi adapter type, was set on 9volts and you guessed it.....I would rather smell the Dust from teeth at the dentist than my 910 burning smell...UUUGh! Its toast..Or is it? Has anyone ever attempted to repair their 910 after a meltdown? I am an Electronic Tech by trade, Fix all types of electronic devices but never cracked open my TomTom 910. Schematics? Any and all suggestions are welcomed. Thanks

Darren

Darren, sorry to hear that. My best suggestion is to contact Support and have them fix or replace it. It should be covered under its Warranty.

If you open the device, the Warranty is void.

That's sad. If your unit is no longer under warranty and would like to try to repair it yourself, it's very easy to dismantle it. I've done it numerous times, unfortunately I don't have photos.

First pry the front bezel with your fingernail or a plastic knife but with a smooth edge. The remove the two rubber strips at the bottom, they are just slightly glued to the casing. You will now see 4 T6 Torx screw. The casing comes off after removing said screws. The whole electronics is only on the top. The small board on top is the GPS antenna.

Hope this helps. I wish you luck.

Ask a Question