First Experiences with 740 GO LIVE

TomTom Model(s)
740 LIVE
Last week, while on the road, I was convinced by an old friend to purchase my first GPS, the 740 GO LIVE. Since returning home I have been upgrading, browsing the internet for TomTom forums and info, and learning how to configure and use it.

My TomTom worked quite well on the trip home to AL from MN except for the last turn, which sent me right not left and told me I had arrived at my destination (a kennel) when in fact I was at a wooded intersection three miles from the kennel. I flagged down the postman and he told me some counties, like Coosa, were in the process of converting to new 911 addresses and that is why GPS units didn't work in Coosa county. Anyone have similar experiences/explantions?

Currently I get an error message when trying to Operate GO in HOME 2.7 (v. 2.7.1.1812). Hopefully, the problem, which others are also reporting, will be fixed, soon; otherwise I may have to downgrade to 2.6.

I found the free program, Tyre, for creating itineraries using Google Maps which does a better job than the Route Planner in HOME 2; it allows me to force specific alternative routes which the HOME Route Planner doesn't provide.

All in all, I think TomTom will, eventually, serve me well. I'll report back when I have more experience with it.

- Tom
A Damn Yankee in the Heart of Dixie

Thanks for the post on your experiences with the TT. Please be sure you have made an explorer, not TT home, backup of the unit just in case something might happen.
And the postman was certainly correct. As addresses are altered for E911 there are certainly some changes. You may find also that exit numbers may be off after new interchanges or realignments take place. In my area I-26 exit numbers are all incorrect.

Ask a Question