finding the right tomtom help

My housemate does alot of driving and thus asked me about GPS's. I love tom tom had have used the one, go720 and xxliq for many years now. I recommended to him a via 1535, I found the menu system to be much bulkier than my tom toms were but that's more a design thing over function. my real issue is the complaints he had, some of witch i have not heard before and am looking for some input.

I do not like the web based system that tomtom has switched to with the via's for updates. i would prefer to get a tomtom that functions inside the much better 'home' program.

He wants to input addresses in bulk, setup a itinerary plan and look at routs with trip times while inside I.E. where he may not have a gps signal.

He does alot of driving and basically wants to use this tomtom as he would Google maps.

He also would like to be able to change startup/shutdown pics/sounds. upload txt documents or mp3's to view in the car.

The via does not have an itinerary planning feature as far as i can tell. He has been driving with out a GPS for years so this is not something he really thinks is absolutely required but i sold him on the great features my gps's had. I am having a hard time finding a new tomtom that can do what the old ones did.

thanks for your help/recommendations

You might get itinerary planning on the new unit at some point next year, this is all TomTom have said on the matter so far.
Loading your own voices etc is possible for European users this should be the case for all users of the "MyTomTom" interface at some future point.
You can forget mp3, documents etc there are no products in the current TomTom range that offer such capability.

If you need Itinerary planning then return the device and go for something that doesn't use the "MyTomTom" interface as non of the newer devices currently offer this mode - Mike

dude i gotta say, madd props for the speed at wich you are answering these questions! every time ive ever had an issue or called in for myself or a customer on the support line the service has been mind blowing. I deal with alot of tech companies in my line of work (upwards of 16 regularly and over 60 on a semi basis) and i must say that tomotm is with out a doubt is in first or second place. outstanding customer service.

Thanks for the information, ill look into swapping it. Is there any plan to bring the mytomtom up to the same functionality of the home program? i.e. with all the menus for custom content, operating the tomtom, backup/restore? or is that service more meant for a lower end line that wont support such things? Its been about a year since ive used my 720 but i seem to recall options for music playback and documents?

Just so you know, none of us here works for TomTom. This board operates entirely independently. Fortunately, we're spread across so many time zones, somebody is usually awake and at it!

No, we are nothing to do with TomTom although we do know their product range rather well, any replies you get on here are from people using their own time and computer to answer questions - Mike

well even more props then for being on the ball while not getting paid. ;-)
When the new owner arrived, I'd swear there was some talk about trips to the Bahamas,etc. .. but nothing ever came of it. :p

I enjoyed mine.... Did you not get the email?

Ask a Question