Favourites "My Places"

TomTom Model(s)
Rider
A question for the knowledgable ones đź‘Ť I think the answer to this question is probably "No" but here goes.
Is there a way to share a group of Favourites "My Places" with someone else or to a file. I have created a .gpx and an .itn file with the points I need but when you load this as a route the place names are converted to location names and not retaining the original names. I am trying to save some friends a bit of time, the only way I can see at the moment is to load the route either on the device or in the web planner but both require re-naming manually.
Any ideas?

For a Rider, yes. They're built on an old enough platform that custom POIs are possible. Create a custom POI file (*.ov2) of your favorites. I call mine _Favorites (with the underscore, which keeps it at the top of my list of custom POI groups). Of course, your friends will also need TomTom devices that can handle *.ov2 files. Place names are retained.

You didn't say what your friends are using, so I can't answer for anything beyond the above - yet. It matters rather a lot.

Thank you for your reply yes I know I can use an .ov2 file but not quite what I wanted. As I said I don't think it's possible. I sent my friend who has a Rider 450 an .itn file which he loaded as a route then selected each point individually and saved it to his "My Places" but he had to re-name each waypoint which is a bit of a chore. I suppose the ov2 is a possibility and use the show function.
I'll send him another file (ov2) and see if that is easier.

The POI file worked. FYI My Route App ov2 files do not work in the new Tomtom planner I had to use ITN Converter to save the file to ov2 format then it worked on the Tomtom planner. I have informed MRA and raised a support ticket with them.

The POI file worked. FYI My Route App ov2 files do not work in the new Tomtom planner I had to use ITN Converter to save the file to ov2 format then it worked on the Tomtom planner. I have informed MRA and raised a support ticket with them.
Interesting that the My Route *.ov2 files don't work. The basic data format hasn't changed on eons. If you have the one you had trouble with and you could *.zip to me, it would be interesting to take one apart and see why. They're pretty basic in construction.

No worries I have zipped two files, one is working ( Duffers 2024 Stops) the other is the troublesome one ( Duffers 2024 Stops Test)

Attachments

• Duffers 2024 stops routes.zip
    742 bytes · Views: 4
No worries I have zipped two files, one is working ( Duffers 2024 Stops) the other is the troublesome one ( Duffers 2024 Stops Test)
The Duffers 2024 Stops Test.ov2 is a 0 byte file. Might have something to do with it! Or did it just not zip properly?

I have just had a long exchange of emails with MRA and to be honest I have found a way around this and would really rather not spend any more time with this. As far as I know the zip was OK. The test file was a direct save to OV2 from MRA. According to MRA this is a bit of a problem. Apparently you have to save the waypoints as POIs first and the export them, I have found a much less complicated way of doing this via ITN Converter, it's not a function that I use very ofter if at all. So I am happy to wrap this up.

I have just had a long exchange of emails with MRA and to be honest I have found a way around this and would really rather not spend any more time with this. As far as I know the zip was OK. The test file was a direct save to OV2 from MRA. According to MRA this is a bit of a problem. Apparently you have to save the waypoints as POIs first and the export them, I have found a much less complicated way of doing this via ITN Converter, it's not a function that I use very ofter if at all. So I am happy to wrap this up.
I also use ITN converter or sometimes a program called GSAK, depending upon what I'm doing.

Results.jpg

Ask a Question