Favorite Have ALL Disappeared

All of my favorites have disappeared. This seemed to happen after upgrading the software on the Go 720. I have backed up my Go to a PC, anyone know where the Favorites are backed up to. I cannot seem to find them anywhere:confused:

Your favs are stored in a file called "mapsettings.cfg". It is located inside your map folder and if you updated just the OS and not the map should still be on your device as well as in your backup. Some of the later software (I haven't kept up with which versions) changed the mapsettings.cfg file format which may explain why you no longer have any favorites.

If this is the case, you will have to set your favorites up again. You can save favorites as POI's en masse by using a program called poiedit (www.poiedit.com). Just open the mapsettings.cfg file and save as a tomtom .ov2 file with whatever name you wish.

Last edited:
Problem Fixed

Your a genious, I had a backup of the GO, and found the config files. I have both USA and Australian Maps. After copying the backup versions to the GO, all my Favs are back in place. I guess the file formats are still compatible.

Thanks for yor help:) :)

oops - spoke too soon

Looks like my problem is not fixed. After copying the backup files to the go, I used "Operate my GO" in TomTom Home, the favorites were fine. Later when I disconnected, the favorites were gone again. I may have to revert back to a prior version on the Go firmware

To avoid aggrevation in the future, download the program poiedit from www.poiedit.com. Load the mapsettings.cfg file into it. you'll see all your favourites listed. Create a poi category called 'favourites'. Save each of your favourites as an individual poi in the poi favourite category.

If you update your map, just copy over this custom favourite.ov2 file along with any other custom .ov2 files you may have downloaded.

Ask a Question