Fastest route?

I have a problem with the routing on my GO 825 which someone might be able to help with.

When I want to go from A to B using available motorways I ask for the Fastest route. No problem. But if in the middle of the route is either a town I want to avoid or a site I want to visit off the route, things get more complicated. Sometimes when I use the Travel Via process it will accept one or more intermediary waypoints and still follow the fast route before and after the detour, but at others it appears supremely indifferent to my needs and sails calmly past the markers for the places I want to go via without including them. In that case I have to opt for the shortest route option which seemingly always avoids motorways. There doesn't seem to be any way of predicting which of the two modes – good or bad humoured – TomTom will be in. But if it is in its 'got out of bed on the wrong side' mode, that is a sure recipe to infuriate me!

Anybody got any ideas or had a similar experience?

And is there any way to keep a carefully constructed route itinerary in TomTom's memory longer than the time it is switched on? I have often entered in a route in Route Planning for an early next morning departure, to find it has disappeared when I switch it on and I have to start again. I know last night's destinations are still available in Recent Destinations, but that can't be how it is supposed to be. What's the point of forward planning, if it disappears when the dratted thing is switched off – worse than my failing memory!

Max

Itineraries -- such as they are -- are not saved on that model. So, only the destination is kept in recent destinations, as you've found.

I....at others it appears supremely indifferent to my needs and sails calmly past the markers for the places I want to go via without including them

Beware of using "City Centre" for your "Travel via...." points.
For some reason they designed the system to treat that as "travel via the ringroad" or "travel vaguely close to the town". No idea why....

If you always use "Travel via.... Address" or even better "Travel via... Point on map", I reckon it should take you right past the point.
(Unless your route means you need to do a U-turn and go back along the same road after visiting the waypoint... in that case it often tells you to "turn around when possible" as soon as you enter the road that the waypoint is on).

I quite take the point about city centre and prefer to use point on map myself (though you do have to be very careful that the pointer is exactly where you want to go!). But what about when the machine absolutely refuses to go via any intermediary waypoint in Fastest Route? I have had that happen to me several times for no good reason that I could fathom - not all the time but enough to be annoying
Max

Ask a Question