Fastest route? I don't think so.....

TomTom Model(s)
TT1
Hi everyone,

I've been playing around with my Tomtom since I bought it yesterday. For the most part, I'm quite happy with it. It usually gives me the fastest route or the most logical route within the city. However, I was testing a route out to Vancouver, BC from Calgary, Alberta, and it says that the quickest route would take 16 hrs. I drive it every year and it takes 10 hrs at the most. The Tomtom route heads north for 5 hours then comes south. I did a test on Google map, and it maps it perfectly.

Does anyone else have this problem, with the TT not always plotting the route correctly? What happens if I map a route where I've never been to? Should I trust that the TT plots the quickest and most logical route?

Thanks.

Alternative....

Yes, I've tried many times but it comes up with barely any effect.

Any ideas? I don't want to bother setting my own waypoints, that's why I bought the TT so I would have to figure out my own routes....

Thanks.

I have the same problem with my 720. My feeling is that it is a software bug that will get fixed soon.

I was using it a few hours ago and the TT 720 said it would take 55 minutes to travel 28 miles on a straight stretch of highway marked as 55 MPH. I have seen this on several other occasions as well.

hmmm... he's right. I used my ONE and did a route from downtown Calgary to downtown Vancouver. For some reason, it takes us up north to nearly Jasper before heading back down and it takes 16:58 hours and 1206km according to my ONE.

I have used the Travel Via icon to good results on a 2200 mike round trip this past week to make returning a different route. Worked great and only surprise was a Shell alert that startled me when I wasn't expecting it.

this may be a stupid question/comment but coming from a garmin 2610, i've experienced your similar situation. Why am I chiming in here ? Because I am going to be picking up a GO 720 in few short weeks.

From PC:
to get around it , I create my "personal route" from point A to B, chart the waypoints and drag all the lines and let the software create it and give it a name. I then upload the route to my garmin et voila.

From Garmin:
Menu > Routes > choose the route I created and Go To
It normally starts routing to my specific created route.

So are you saying , I won't have this ability with the TomTom ?

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I've been playing around with my Tomtom since I bought it yesterday. For the most part, I'm quite happy with it. It usually gives me the fastest route or the most logical route within the city. However, I was testing a route out to Vancouver, BC from Calgary, Alberta, and it says that the quickest route would take 16 hrs. I drive it every year and it takes 10 hrs at the most. The Tomtom route heads north for 5 hours then comes south. I did a test on Google map, and it maps it perfectly.

Does anyone else have this problem, with the TT not always plotting the route correctly? What happens if I map a route where I've never been to? Should I trust that the TT plots the quickest and most logical route?

Thanks.

I do not take the routes seriously as far as the amount of time predicyed to cover a route. They are using speed limits set for the road-yeah, sure. It also is detemined whether you pick the fastest route or the shortest route. The fastest is not always the shortest. I took a trip one time which I thought I knew the fastest way. My 510 said to go a different way- which I did. It knocked about an hour off of the trip beacuse I missed the usual traffic. If you go the way that you know-as I have in the past- the TT will redirect you correctly.

Ask a Question