Don't Show Horizon

I recently updated my maps and had to reset some preferences. I remember before being able to turn off the horizon at the top of the display. Now I can't find that option. Where is it?

I recently updated my maps and had to reset some preferences. I remember before being able to turn off the horizon at the top of the display. Now I can't find that option. Where is it?
What do you mean by turn off the horizon at the top of the display ?

Could it be 2D or 3D view???

You're right. The 3D view shows the horizon and the 2D doesn't. But I would have sworn that I'd never seen the horizon using the 3D view before this last map upgrade which messed up some of my preferences.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I'll put up with the horizon view to keep the 3D.

I don't think I've seen that either before the 840, which I got in December.

I don't like that this new colour scheme shows industrial areas almost indistinguishable from water.
Like the other Day Time colours even less.

It also seemd new to me after I finally got my free map update. 2D is the best if you want to see more detail. When you come right down to it, although 3D is neat, it doesn't give much advantage over 2D.

I don't care much for 2D although it might help in a strange area, without a route planned, to choose 2Dmap - north at the top.
I wouldn't want to use that where I live as all major north/south and east/west thoroughfares run really almost directly diagonal.
Very confusing on the map as everybody pretends to drive in a true grid.

Had the constantly displaying compass on my 1984 Audi disconnected at that time for that reason. If it's not overcast or dark, I don't need a compass.

Last edited:
I remember reading somewhere that one of the map files is all the graphical images. If you feel like tinkering, you could try (after a backup first) to remove one file at a time and see if one of them takes all the images away.

I remember reading somewhere that one of the map files is all the graphical images. If you feel like tinkering, you could try (after a backup first) to remove one file at a time and see if one of them takes all the images away.
Does anyone have any idea of the function of the faces.dat and faces.met files?

Does anyone have any idea of the function of the faces.dat and faces.met files?

Those are the right files.

When removed, all non-roads disappear on my Tomtom. So I lose lakes, building footprints, etc. The horizon still shows, maybe it be fixed with both the removal of these files, and a change to the color scheme.

Ask a Question