POI .bmps don't show up

Hi All,

New member here with a question. Thanks to this forum, I have been able to load my own POIs (Tim Hortons and BMW motorcycle dealers :D ) but the related .bmps just show up as red squares. How come?

I assume that I simply copy & paste the bmp file into the maps directory on my One (Third Edition), correct? All of the POIs work, but gosh darnit, I want the cool logos to show up too!

Also, I've heard that there is a way for gas stations, banks and restaurants to show up on the gps as the actual retailer's logo as opposed to the generic symbols that show up out of the box. Is this a correct assumption, and if so, how can this be changed?

Thanks all! I'm having a lot of fun with this thing and I was always a paper maps (poor man's GPS) kinda guy...'till now! Great forum, btw!

Hi All,

New member here with a question. Thanks to this forum, I have been able to load my own POIs (Tim Hortons and BMW motorcycle dealers :D ) but the related .bmps just show up as red squares. How come?

I assume that I simply copy & paste the bmp file into the maps directory on my One (Third Edition), correct? All of the POIs work, but gosh darnit, I want the cool logos to show up too!

Also, I've heard that there is a way for gas stations, banks and restaurants to show up on the gps as the actual retailer's logo as opposed to the generic symbols that show up out of the box. Is this a correct assumption, and if so, how can this be changed?

Thanks all! I'm having a lot of fun with this thing and I was always a paper maps (poor man's GPS) kinda guy...'till now! Great forum, btw!

The bitmap file must be named EXACTLY the same as the .ov2 file for the bitmap to show up. For example, I have this:
TimHortons.ov2
TimHortons.bmp

Notice the two are named exactly the same -- with the same case for the letters (and, of course, both in your map folder).

There is no way, to my understanding, of adding bitmaps to TomTom's built in poi.dat file.

e

Hi All,

Try my instructions below (even though it sounds like you are doing the right things):
>>> POI IMAGE <<<

The bitmap file must be named EXACTLY the same as the .ov2 file for the bitmap to show up. For example, I have this:
TimHortons.ov2
TimHortons.bmp

Notice the two are named exactly the same -- with the same case for the letters (and, of course, both in your map folder).

There is no way, to my understanding, of adding bitmaps to TomTom's built in poi.dat file.

That was it! Thanks dhn. I also didn't have one of the images sized correctly (one was 32x32).

Birdman, thanks for the link! Lots of good info. there!

i just had the same problem.
i downloaded TIm Hortons and Ontario Beer Stores.

Will Timmies worked fine had the pic, beer store just red box, so i went to beer store web-page copied a pic of a beer mug, shrunk it down to 22x22pixels, something like that, and now everytime i search for a beer store, i get a glass of beer where it should be....

cheers.
Mike

Ask a Question