Does "text to speech" really work?

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720
Hi,

I see that one of the features of the Go 720 is to read my text messages / e-mail to me from my phone.

The option is grey'd out. Is this something that only works on some phone or is it a "yet to be developed" feature.

Wireless data and bluetooth handsfree are working..... but just not this feature.

Just curious.

D.

the same with my Samsung t609 , no SMS but everything else works. Well no DTMF function while on a call either. But it will make conference calls and switch between calls. It all depends whether your phone is supported or not.

Same here with the Motorola Q. It's a feature of what the phone will allow through bluetooth unfortunately. Can you believe that a fully featured Motorola Q won't allow you to do MMS or even watch TV through the Cellular services (of course there are always work arounds).

Still waiting for unlimited data plan from Bell so I can be unleashed to do what I want on my phone (coming soon as they have it on pc card). Rant!

Nathan...

Yea... you are not alone.... I am using the HTC S621 SmartPhone from Rogers and will soon have an iPhone.

I would have thought that of all devices it would be a smart phone that would allow for these features to work.

Oh well.

Maybe the iPhone will do it.

D.

The title is misleading.
Text-to-speech is to read out the street names & the POI names.

Yes it does read out Text message if your phone is support. When I had my Moto Razr phone and recieved a text, all my text were read out loud while I was driving which was a nice feature. However, I switched to a smartphone, this was not supported.

For the complete listing go to: http://www.tomtom.com/phones/compatibility/

text to speech

yes it does work
It will not work with normal voices Ex: lori
It will only work with computer voices. they are large files about 37 mb each

Ask a Question