Dislike of TomTom

I bought a TomTom GO 2 years ago. Great product and recommended it to others. However, I never made a note of the product code on the box but then again it wasnt drawn to my attention that I should. 2 years later I needed some maps for France and guess what? I can't install them. I needed a OS update which won't work without the product code and that's been binned as it was on the box. I hace a device code but that's no good and there's another code on the registration document but that's not in the correct format. TomTom's response is to tell me I need buy another one. WHAT!!! Is this the customer service we expect these days?

I'm going over to Garmin for our companies needs and wait 'til TomTom hear they lost a couple of hundred unit sales - but hey, they probably don't care!

Yeah, they should be able to see it, cause all codes are registered, shouldn't be a problem.

But really I see these stories all the time at yournav.com and jouwnav.nl, and then I wonder why people do keep their invoice of the TomTom but not the product codes, those codes are just as important as your Windows code to activate it.

Product code

I bought my TT-one off of Ebay. I had no idea about TT. Never used one.
Through this forum i gathered enough knowledge to and direction to be able to navigate through its quams and qwerks. My unit wouldn't read the memory card and I kept getting the red X screen. I downloaded and used TT-Home to gain access to the system. I backed it up, then updated it. PRESTO! Then I was able to obtain the product code after the unit was operational by using the menus on the screen. I went to TomToms website and registered it. Thats all you need to do I guess.

Once you have a backup, you can recover the map.
If you buy a new map, they will give a new code.
Both cases, you'll never need that product code ever again.

So here's something I don't understand with davidlw's post. He talks about the product code. On older units, this came on a credit card-like piece of plastic.

A lot of confusion arises from the name 'product code'. What they should have said is 'map code' because it is only for the map. And this is only for the map that was on your unit when you bought it.

The 7xx and 8xx series of maps no longer use the 'product code'. The activation is done via the Home program and it's the 'device code' that you need.

So if he was trying to install new maps for France, it is 'device code' he needs. You find that by tapping on the satellite bars, then on the box that says 'Version...'. The device code is on the first line.

Ask a Question