Different XL335s builds?

I received an XL335s for Christmas from my wife and was really enjoying it (bought at Costco). I had a notification to download the latest map and other programs from TomTom Home when I hooked it up and did so. After making room on my unit for the upgrade by deleting some map files, I lost a bunch of stock POI's and other functions... bottom line there was a corruption or other issue. Having only been a couple days from purchase, I returned it and got another.

Today I sat on hold for over 45 minutes to get the unit associated with my account changed over to this one because when I made a new account, there was no free map upgrade. I was told once they re-associated the account it would let me install the newer map downloaded from my previous one... it didn't even show up in the "add map" list as on my computer. When going to it from file manager, it says "Map cannot be installed because it will not work on this device" What? Same model from the same store... Are there different builds? Also my box says US & Canada, but both my current map and the one that won't install on this one says US, Canada & Mexico. Something seems fishy... Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Maps are serial number locked, so a map on one device won't work on the other. To clear out Tomtom HOME, delete your mydocuments\tomtom\home\downloads folder. Then you should be able to get the new maps as follows:

- first, as always, run a backup per this methog
- second, update you application to 8.415 or later BEFORE updating your map. Earlier applications have bad internal USB drivers and cause the type of map corruption that you experienced with POIs.
- third, remove all computer voices from the Tomtom except for 1.
- fourth, now go to Latest Map Guarantee, and you should be able to get your new map in HOME

Regarding your Mexico maps, recent costco shipments of the 335S have erroneously been adding Mexico maps for free. So you were lucky enough to get a 340S for the price of a 335S.

Ask a Question