Deleted my USA/CANADA map

Stupid me! Somehow while I was updating my TomTom desktop One XL. I deleted my USA/canada map and all i am left with is the Guam map that I don't need. I deleted want i thought were old updates and unlike you computer Tom Tom does't give you a head up that you are about to delet you map from the system. I backed it up but it must have been after I deleted the map. I did restore from my computer that is how I know the map is gown.
I was just going to sign up for this new map subscription service that TomTom has come up with for 1 yr for $39.80 you can up date the maps 4 time in a year. Now i have no map and I can aford $79.00 . Did I read on a post that tom Tom will give you at least what I had that goes with the serial #.

I have friend coming in and to visit tomorrow and I need my GPS. Does anyone know if TomTom support will work with me on this?

Use Explorer to look at the contents of your unit. Are you sure there is no specific map folder on the unit, one probably entitled USA&Canada?

If not, why do you suspect there is no map in the backup? No map folder?

Also, in Home, there is a menu option: Tools-->TomTom Home Preferences-->Folder Options. Look there for where on your computer TomTom would have placed map backups and map downloads.

If after all this there is no map, call support at 866-486-6866. If you HAD purchased the missing map, you have 1 year to redownload it. See if they can help.

Did you find a solution for this? I don't think it was your mistake. I have an ONE XL and I am in exactly same situation as yours!!!!. I tried updating my Tomtom on 21st March 2009 and deselected the Canada Map option as the same had some price in front of it and I did not want to update my map. It simply deleted the map from my OneXL and now I am left with Guam map too.

Neither the device is showing any GPS signal now

I am yet to call the Tomtom helpline

I called Tomtom helpline and explained them the situation. They simply added an map update to my Tomtom Home and now I can download that map into my ONEXL unit.

(Will be careful in future)

Thanks DHN!!!

Did you find a solution for this? I don't think it was your mistake. I have an ONE XL and I am in exactly same situation as yours!!!!. I tried updating my Tomtom on 21st March 2009 and deselected the Canada Map option as the same had some price in front of it and I did not want to update my map. It simply deleted the map from my OneXL and now I am left with Guam map too.

Neither the device is showing any GPS signal now

I am yet to call the Tomtom helpline

Don't be afraid to call the help line, they have always been helpful and very nice to me. Wait time can be long, however.

You probably have a USA_CANADA.zip file somewhwere in yout TOMTOM\HOME directory which has themap files in it. TT HOME is seeing that and not offering you the map again when you click update. If you rrename the map file, UPDAT should offer you the map that was assigned to your unit. Or, you can unzip the file to the proper directory in the TT unit.

Call Customer Support and they will get you going in 20 minutes (plus download time if you need to download the map)
;)

Beat me to the punch. See, they are very helpful.

Ask a Question