Day/Night Colors.

TomTom Model(s)
ONE 3rd Edition
Day/Night Colors ->> Suntime plugin

When I first setup my TomTom and saw the Day/Night color schemes I immediately assumed the device would switch color scheme based on time of day.

But it doesn't I guess.

Is that too much to expect? It has an internal clock after all so auto-switching Day-Night colors should be easy.

Last edited:
This funciton only works with the x10 and x20 range.

Suntime is the application that will do the switch for the other units
http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/suntime.php?lang=uk

Im not sure if this works perfectly with the Navcore 7.

I'm not new to computers or mods... did quite a bit of hacking to my Razr phone without a problem.

But I'm new to the TomTom mods... what's the risk to running the Suntime plugin? If the worst case is I'd have to reload my TT from a backup, I could live with that.

Thank-you.

Odd...

It seems to install and function.

But when I click the icon to stop it, the screen goes wacky and I can't read anything. Just a bunch of zigzags & fuzz.

I tap around the screen and when I hit the lower left corner, Suntime stops and the screen returns to normal.

I'm going to install the Suntime config and auto-start files to see if this becomes a non-issue.

Thank-you.

Last edited:
If you go to the suntime folder you can change the options using notepad instead of the user interface that is has.
Try doing that.

If you go to the suntime folder you can change the options using notepad instead of the user interface that is has.
Try doing that.

I intend on doing that.

However, it seems that clicking on the Suntime icon will have to be avoided.

Also if I add the little batch file, I can make Suntime start up on its own.

I just thought there was another solution to the botched up screen issue. Seems that another one of their plug-ins has the same problem and they post a solution I will also try.

I'll report back.

This funciton only works with the x10 and x20 range.

Suntime is the application that will do the switch for the other units

Im not sure if this works perfectly with the Navcore 7.

I have a 510 and it will only swithc to night screen when connected to car dock. It is an option in the menu. If you are carrying the unit in your hand it does not automatically switch to the night screen!!

I intend on doing that.

However, it seems that clicking on the Suntime icon will have to be avoided.

Also if I add the little batch file, I can make Suntime start up on its own.

I just thought there was another solution to the botched up screen issue. Seems that another one of their plug-ins has the same problem and they post a solution I will also try.

I'll report back.

Sparky, try to rename the suntime folder or remove the icon from the folder. This may disable the icon from appearing in your unit but still allowing the application to function.

Sparky, try to rename the suntime folder or remove the icon from the folder. This may disable the icon from appearing in your unit but still allowing the application to function.

There is only "suntime" and the two language files... no icon to remove. I did not yet try your renaming suggestion but I think this would break Suntime since the batch file is looking at this path.

I installed the file in the root and Suntime starts automatically.

I also installed the config file for Suntime and this works too.

Within the config file, I tried both...

Code:
screenadaptation rider2

and then...

Code:
screenadaptation none

Those were the suggestions from the Tripmaster page for a "garbaged" display. Apparently Suntime does not recognize that parameter because if I hit the icon, the display is still mucked.

I'd like to either fix it or remove the icon... if possible. I don't need the Suntime icon now that I have the parameter file in place.

Anyone else using Suntime on a ONE 3rd Ed??

EDIT: I sent the developer an email. I'll report back with the results.

Last edited:
I never heard back from the developer but I can report that Suntime is working perfectly.

However, the Suntime icon in the menu is useless as clicking it jumbles up the screen... which forces you to quit Suntime.

I figured out how to remove Suntime from the menu:

-> delete the icon, suntime.bmp from the sdkregistry directory
-> delete the menu item, suntime.cap from the sdkregistry directory

Now you can't access Suntime preferences from the TomTom. But that's ok.

From the developer's web page...

Start it automatically with a text file in the TomTom root called "cleanup.txt"

Code:
daemon|suntime/suntime|

Configure it manually with a text file in the "suntime" directory called "config.txt"

Code:
[Begin parameters]
language english.lng
period 60
gmtoffset -6
twilight yes
verbose normal
display full
[End parameters]

Last edited:
Sparky, just wanted to say this has been really helpful. I'm gonna try it out on my TT1 V3 tomorrow. Just one question about the parameters file above. The value for GMT, is that related to whatever timezone you are in as it would normally be, i.e. I live in Ohio, so I am -5 hours from the UK. I assume you set it to -6 in your example as you're in Chicago(1 hour behind me)?

Thanks for providing us with this great explanation. I'm looking forward to testing this out!

Sparky, just wanted to say this has been really helpful. I'm gonna try it out on my TT1 V3 tomorrow. Just one question about the parameters file above. The value for GMT, is that related to whatever timezone you are in as it would normally be, i.e. I live in Ohio, so I am -5 hours from the UK. I assume you set it to -6 in your example as you're in Chicago(1 hour behind me)?

Thanks for providing us with this great explanation. I'm looking forward to testing this out!

Yes... -5 for Eastern Zone

I'm not sure the...

Code:
display full

... Parameter is doing anything. It's supposed to display all messages but I haven't noticed any. I'd delete that line or set it to

Code:
display none

refer to this...

Last edited:
The screen garbage is totally beyond the developer's control. It occurs because TomTom (in their wisdom - not!) decided not to release an SDK (Software Developer Kit) for ver7. The screens worked perfectly well with ver6 of the TomTom software which did have the appropriate SDK.

This is a real shame but it seems that no amount of emails to TomTom has shifted their point of view.

I tried Suntime following the instructions in this thread and it works perfectly on the TT1 V3. No icons and no weird screen. :D

It is a shame that TT no longer want to release new versions of the SDK :(

The screen garbage is totally beyond the developer's control. It occurs because TomTom (in their wisdom - not!) decided not to release an SDK (Software Developer Kit) for ver7. The screens worked perfectly well with ver6 of the TomTom software which did have the appropriate SDK.

This is a real shame but it seems that no amount of emails to TomTom has shifted their point of view.

True- regarding the lack of developer's kit.

However, although I haven't tried it yet, this same developer has released a version of Tripmaster that's supposed to work under Nav 7. He specifically mentions adding a parameter to his config file to "un-garbage" the screen.

I'll report back back after I try it myself.

I'll disagree that screen garbage is totally beyond his control.

I installed his Tripmaster program here...

http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/tripmaster.php?lang=uk

I started it up via the new menu icon and the screen was garbage. I then quit the program and changed the config file parameter, screenadaptation to rider2...

Code:
screenadaptation rider2

Tripmaster now works on a ONE 3rd Ed with Nav 7! Screen is fine.

So although there is no Developer's Kit for Nav 7, there are still apparently some things within the developer's control.

I think that if he were to modify his Suntime program with the Rider2 screen adaptation function like in his Tripmaster program, Suntime's garbage screen would be fixed.... IMHO, of course.

NOTES: As mentioned on developer's site, when keyboard is invoked, screen goes garbage again and there is nothing you can do. This was only an issue when changing preferences that required typing in a value. Instead of doing these via the TomTom screen, just edit the config.txt file in the Tripmaster directory.

Last edited:
Suntime must have crashed.

It skipped sunset tonight refused to toggle colors.

Since I removed the icons from the menu I had no way to restart it. Turning the TT on/off apparently isn't good enough... it needs a reboot to force the cleanup.txt to restart Suntime.

The whole point is to get the color shifts to happen without thinking about it. But by the time I click around trying to get it going again, I could just manually switch to night mode.

Are the any crash logs or anything else I can look at to determine what happened?

Thank-you.

Ask a Question