Day/Night colors, headlights

TomTom Model(s)
GO910
I have found that when using the "use night colors when dark" option causes my TT to switch just when I go into shade. Even in slightly overcast conditions it will not go into day colors unless I do it manually. Any of you programming wizards know about modifying the program on how much light makes it change over? I'm not sure how the sensor (through the display?) even works.

Also how does the "link to headlights" option work? Is it supposed to notice some change in current over your adapter? When selecting this option, turning my headlights on or off has no effect.

Mine works just fine even on very gloomy days and it is mounted quite far away from the windshield. Where is your unit mounted? If its not mounted on the windshield, are your windows darkly tinted? Something must be partly blocking the sensor. Here in Europe, we are not allowed to have front tinted windows.

Also how does the "link to headlights" option work? Is it supposed to notice some change in current over your adapter? When selecting this option, turning my headlights on or off has no effect.
And all this time I've been thinking that the link to headlights thing was when a car met me head-on with his lights on then my Tom Tom screen would darken. Have I been wrong all this time?

I have found that when using the "use night colors when dark" option causes my TT to switch just when I go into shade. Even in slightly overcast conditions it will not go into day colors unless I do it manually. Any of you programming wizards know about modifying the program on how much light makes it change over? I'm not sure how the sensor (through the display?) even works.

I would not think that the TT would be able to notice a current drop to switch to the night screen. The voltage would drop signifcantly just from the ac switching on would be enough to activate it. Plus some vehichles have an extra high output alternator ( or generator-depending on where you live) that the drop if any would probably be negligable.

Mine works just fine even on very gloomy days and it is mounted quite far away from the windshield. Where is your unit mounted? If its not mounted on the windshield, are your windows darkly tinted? Something must be partly blocking the sensor. Here in Europe, we are not allowed to have front tinted windows.

Mine is on the windshield up near the rear view mirror, so it is not in direct light but plenty of ambient light. No window tint at all on my car. Is the sensor within the screen itself?

There were a couple of functions that sort of got lost in the process. This being one.

Is the sensor within the screen itself?

The sensor is on the top-right corner of the casing, just in line to the power switch. Most probably there is some dirt on the casing's hole for the sensor or your rear-view mirror or its assembly is somehow blocking the sensor's view. Try mounting your unit somewhere else and observe.

Ask a Question