Night Colors

TomTom Model(s)
Press "Use Night Colors"--night colors appear for, oh, 1-2 seconds, then reverts to normal colors/brightness. As a Motorcoach Driver, I pass thru lots of dusks (and a few dawns) where changing the slider to diminish screen brightness is a pain. (Tried firmware upgrade, reset---no changes) Any suggestions?

Try the Clear Flash tool here.

If that doesn't work, a more draconian thing to try may be to 'restore to factory defaults'. All your custom settings will have to be redone.

Well, in the firmware upgrade (7.900), I lost all my favorites. Retained lots of downloaded POI (Truckstops, restaurants...) and downloaded map color schemes, but still no night color. Tried to restore from (year old) backup file. Somehow wound up with a factory restore--no POI or map color updates, no favorites--OLD firmware (from 7.900 to 6.520). Did restore function of night color however. Second restore attempt provide Favorites, but none of the other (more labor intensive) updates. Trying now to re-do firmware upgrade without losing further ground. Sigh.

I guess I should have prefaced all this with--TT GO 700 [no automatic settings].

Re-did firmware upgrade. Now have 7.900 again. Night Color normal function restored. BUT--have NO Favorites, NO POI updates, NO map color updates. A-R-R-G-H!

Last edited:
I guess I should have prefaced all this with--TT GO 700 [no automatic settings].

Re-did firmware upgrade. Now have 7.900 again. Night Color normal function restored. BUT--have NO Favorites, NO POI updates, NO map color updates. A-R-R-G-H!

I believe this is the nature (and main problem) with 7.9. You would be much better off staying with an older application. The ONLY reason to go to 7.9 right now is if you just have to have 815 maps. Otherwise, stay away from it.

Since TT Home is so gung-ho on automatically seeking updates, (and overwriting existing backups, instead of the much preferred "name your update" earlier method of backing up), how do I revert to an earlier firmware version, and what version would work best for a GO 700?

(no intent to upgrade maps--$100.00 for map, or hold toward replacing 3+ year old unit... easy call.)

Easiest way is if you have a recent backup. But first, copy your new map folder to a safe place. After the restore, you could cut and past your backup's old map also to a safe place, and then copy and paste your new map folder back.

That should work. If not, after restoring - TomTom Home should offer to re-downland and install your map (for up to 12 months), so do so, but do not accept 7.9 update anymore (un-check it).

For your 700, I think the latest version was 7.162 (or 7.161). It was pretty stable and if you have a recent backup, it would most likely include it. I would also guess that the map you juct got was 725. if so, that is he latest for your unit - you don't want/need to go to the "latest" from TT - 815.

Worse case would be to delete your current app, and download the application and copy and paste it to your 700.

Folder!? D-oh! I totally overlooked just transferring stuff via explorer--was relying totally on TT Home.

Have downloaded schemes back in place [with night colors functioning!]

Copied downloaded poi's [truck stops, Walgreens...], but not sure I copied them to the correct place on device--They're not showing up on list.

Last edited:
Custom dl poi's go directly in the specif map folder.... along with the associated .bmp file, if there is one.

Ask a Question