Data Connection with ATT/Cingular 8525 and 920

Hello all,
Has anyone had success getting data connection with Cingular 8525 and TT920. I have tried every configuration possible but it always stops at 65% when checking for data connection.

Phone: ATT/Cingular 8525 (bought the phone before merger and internet uses wap.cingular but phone as ATT brand on it) using WM6

TT: Ver 7.480

Also, anyword on the fix for VR not working after firmware upgrade?

Im losing my mind....

:confused:

Hello all,
Has anyone had success getting data connection with Cingular 8525 and TT920. I have tried every configuration possible but it always stops at 65% when checking for data connection.

Phone: ATT/Cingular 8525 (bought the phone before merger and internet uses wap.cingular but phone as ATT brand on it) using WM6

Im losing my mind....

A fix for the 7.480 problems is supposed to be released on Thursday.

Hello all,

Im losing my mind....

mine used to work on 910... then stopped. no luck connecting on th e new 920, either:mad:

:D - I got it to work last night. Strange.. I connect 920 to my computer to check for downloads they used Home to control the 920 from the computer. I went to TT services and checked the weather while I was still hooked up to the computer. Once I disconnected from the computer and tried the data connection again via my 8525 it worked like a charm.

Hope this helps

I am feeling your pain. I just got an AT&T Tilt, and I can not get the data connections to work as well with my 920. I have the PDA personal unlimited plan, and the internet and everything else on the phone is just fine, but I cant get the damn 920 to connect no matter what I do.

Hopefully someone will figure this out!

WM 6 and TomTom

I am feeling your pain. I just got an AT&T Tilt, and I can not get the data connections to work as well with my 920. I have the PDA personal unlimited plan, and the internet and everything else on the phone is just fine, but I cant get the damn 920 to connect no matter what I do.

Hopefully someone will figure this out!

I am in a similar situation. I have the GSM HTC Touch. There is a bluetooth network fix for wm 6 that can be found here:

WM6_DUN.zip

That "fix" causes the 720 to indicate that network services are available, but it always stalls while the 720 is trying to configure the connection, and then I get a failure notice. I strongly suspect that this .cab will help with both the Tilt, and maybe the 8525 if it is running WM6.

Since my Tilt is not an AT&T phone, I don't have the program that turns the proxy on and off, and I think that is my downfall.

I am still looking for a solution.

Got It! Connect Your ATT/Cingular Device to TT 720/920

I kept searching through the xda-developers website, and found a thread that allowed me to connect my HTC Touch (Generic Non- branded GSM) on AT&T :

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=314371&page=10

I followed these intructions which involved downloading another .cab that configured all the AT&T connections for me. You also have to install the BT dun cab, but when you get both of those in your phone (you will have to remember to soft reset after the bt dun cab, and I was not prompted to do so, and I also got a message that the bt dun was for a prior version of windows mobile and may not work, but it did) you should be able to connect.

Let me know if this works for you. It did for me!

Hello all,

Im losing my mind....

I have my AT&T Tilt (8925) WM6 phone paired and data connected successfuly with my TT One running the latest firmware (7.162 for the TT1) through the Cingular WAP connection. Select the last of the Cingular network options and it should run through after the 65% validation stage.

Traffic and Plus services work fine. I was hoping the audio would come through the bluetooth interface from the TT1 but it does not.

Last edited:
Did you do/add anything to the phone? I am still stuck at 65%. It seems like the phone is not initializing the data services and not connecting.

TT920 + Tilt = no love :(

Did you do/add anything to the phone? I am still stuck at 65%. It seems like the phone is not initializing the data services and not connecting.

You have to run both of the cabs referenced in the prior posts. The bluetooth dun cab to fix WM6, and I had to run the cingular cab. Be sure to reboot the phone after each install.

Then from the TomTom delete your connection, and re-pair the phone, running through whole script, and you should be prompted to add services. Choose Cingular Media Net, and you should be set.

On my Tilt, I didn't do anything other than immediately check for firmware updates when I came home with the new phone and found an update on the HTC website. I installed the latest firmware to the phone, and then paired the phone to the TT1 and it worked fine. I initially had trouble with the Plus services data connection until I tried the last of the Cingular network config options on the TT and it ran through perfectly and haven't had a problem since.

Maybe the HTC updates include some of these cabs mentioned above (or maybe the 920 firmware is more fussy than the TT1, although I wouldn;t have thought so. I don't know).

Here is the HTC latest firmware download page for the AT&T Tilt phone

http://www.htc.com/us/FAQ_Detail.aspx?p_id=67&act=sd

Last edited:
The Devil is in the Details

After all my trials and tribulations to get it set up, I now get a screen that my subscription has expired. I never had one to begin with. I am going to call tech support tomorrow and see if I can get the free U.S. trial subscription.

Here is one glich I have found. After my TomTom has connected to the phone, I looks like I will then have to reboot the phone to free the connection. There may be other ways to do it, but others have reported this problem when using data.

Also, while the data is enabled, it seems that my Exchange push email and internet service on the phone are preempted. I assume this is unavoidable.

No More Free Subcriptions

As I believe others have reported, there are no more free trial subscriptions to traffic. It's $59 for a one year subscription. The website is kind of confusing in that the traffic subscription seems to be offered for Europe only, but I was told by support that it will cover the U.S.

I have not decided whether to purchase, but thought I would pass the information along for those that are interested.

As I believe others have reported, there are no more free trial subscriptions to traffic. It's $59 for a one year subscription. The website is kind of confusing in that the traffic subscription seems to be offered for Europe only, but I was told by support that it will cover the U.S.

I have not decided whether to purchase, but thought I would pass the information along for those that are interested.

Traffic works well in the USA up here in the Detroit area, on my TT One (paired with the AT&T Tilt phone). You can configure it to call out to the server on a limited basis, but I have it set to call out as frequently as needed, and it updates quite regularly (maybe 10 times on my commute home every day) and it automatically reroutes me as necessary (or asks if I want to reroute).

I'd say if you are in a traffic heavy region, it is worth the money.

I did have a weird experience with Traffic in the Atlanta area - you can read about it here, if you're interested....but that's the first and only time there seemed to be an issue with the actual info. One must of course allow for the fact that there is always going to be some lag in these updates, and act accordingly.

https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=8469

Traffic Service

Of late, I have not been doing a lot of driving to some of the cities that I used to frequent more often like Birmingham, Atlanta and New Orleans. If I were in those areas more often, I could probably justify the fee. Since I live in the Mobile, Alabama, area, however, I'm not sure I will buy it right now.

It is always there if my circumstances change.

Still no luck for me with my Tilt. I have the latest rom on the Tilt. The phone function works fine. Data does not. Anyone have up-to-date-steps to try? I have tried the AT&T and both Cingular automatic settings. I have also entered in the information manually as follows:
wap.cingular.com
(e-mail address removed)
cingular1
auto ip
auto dns

No luck on that either. I have disable the voice portion of the phone to see if that would help. Frustrating. I would like to get weather and gas prices. Might be interested in traffic.

Ask a Question