Confused about tomtom features and lack there of

I have been watching adverts for the tomtom for the past few years now, i have seen the adverts where someone says someone elses name and asks for directions etc and then they say something like its not steve steve its tomtom etc etc

I though wow thats pretty cool voice activated navigation phone calling and hands free and other cool stuff

Now as i usually do i went out and baught the latest version now that i had enough money

I got the 920T

I come to find that this being the supposidly latest best version that there seems to be none of the good features i have seen in past adverts

You cant say tomtom and get directions or locate a near by thing etc

You cant call someone by saying something like tomtom call jim etc

Whats the deal? why is the latest version not as good as some earlier versions i have seen over the last few years

Can anyone explain to me why this is like this and if there is anything that can be updated as having to manually type stuff is impossible while driving same when trying to call someone, it would be easier for me to get my phone out than to try and use it through the tomtom without having voice activated stuff that involves no touching

Heck thats the only reason i looked to the tomtom in the first place based on past adverts i had seen

I also cannot seem to use any of the voice features as when i go to voice input of addresse tc the icon is crayed out and i cannot do the voice, why is this? whats the point of having features if they dont work

Last edited:
I have been watching adverts for the tomtom for the past few years now, i have seen the adverts where someone says someone elses name and asks for directions etc and then they say something like its not steve steve its tomtom etc etc

I though wow thats pretty cool voice activated navigation phone calling and hands free and other cool stuff

Now as i usually do i went out and baught the latest version now that i had enough money

I got the 920T

I come to find that this being the supposidly latest best version that there seems to be none of the good features i have seen in past adverts

You cant say tomtom and get directions or locate a near by thing etc (Nope, it is not the SYNC)

You cant call someone by saying something like tomtom call jim etc (Nope)

Whats the deal? why is the latest version not as good as some earlier versions i have seen over the last few years (The 920 is the top of the line TT, at least until the 930(?))

Can anyone explain to me why this is like this and if there is anything that can be updated as having to manually type stuff is impossible while driving same when trying to call someone, it would be easier for me to get my phone out than to try and use it through the tomtom without having voice activated stuff that involves no touching (Sorry, you are going to have to get up close and personal with TomTom, and at least touch him. Not that there is anything wrong with that. There is a TOS the you agree to when operating the TT that I believes states that you should not operate it while driving. It is a legal thing.)

Heck thats the only reason i looked to the tomtom in the first place based on past adverts i had seen

I also cannot seem to use any of the voice features as when i go to voice input of addresse tc the icon is crayed out and i cannot do the voice, why is this? whats the point of having features if they dont work (Make sure you have a TT account and log into it. Download the latest updates. Try again. If that doesn't work try a pin reset (on the bottom of your TomTom. And if that doesn't work call TT support. Or just return the unit and wait for the new ones to come out)

Just make sure you have all updates done, then try a pin reset, read the forums to learn how to do it.

Ask a Question