Checking out maps before buying?

Hi everyone -- new guy here. Have a 510 that I've had for a couple years. Have done 1 map update and go the notice about the new updates. My question is whether there is anyway to examine parts of the new maps before you buy them? In my case, the Southeast US, particularly the Carolinas. There's been a lot of construction in that region and unless the new maps materially improve that, it's not worth the money.

Unfortunately, Tom Tom doesn't seem to describe the new maps worth a hoot -- I guess they just expect you to pay for them and see what happens.

Thanks!

Hi everyone -- new guy here. Have a 510 that I've had for a couple years. Have done 1 map update and go the notice about the new updates. My question is whether there is anyway to examine parts of the new maps before you buy them? In my case, the Southeast US, particularly the Carolinas. There's been a lot of construction in that region and unless the new maps materially improve that, it's not worth the money.

Unfortunately, Tom Tom doesn't seem to describe the new maps worth a hoot -- I guess they just expect you to pay for them and see what happens.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, you are correct in that there is no way to view a map prior to its purchase. The only thing that can be done is to put out a call in this forum to ask whether point X in state or province Y exists on a new map. You'll find people are pretty good at responding. It sure isn't as good as seeing for yourself but it is better than nothing.

Thanks -- that about what I figured. They'd probably sell less map updates if they let you see the area you were interested in before you buy.

If you're looking for particular streets or road features (bridges, roundabouts, developments, etc.), you can go to the error reporting section of the TeleAtlas website. They're the folks that provide TomTom with the base maps, four times a year. This "Map Insight" page should be close to their latest pre-production copy:
http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com/mapfeedback/index.php

But if you're curious about POI's in your area, you'll have to post to the forum, as suggested above.

R?

Neat, I just submitted the address for my house that is being built, based on lat/long provided by Google Maps. :)

i find that teleatlas maps are usually extremely accurate and up-to-date, as they update their maps every couple months or so. i'm also in the northern virginia area, and i use my tomtom and google maps on my blackberry frequently, and i've found the tele atlas maps, relevant POI's, and roads to be pretty solid and current. they haven't led me astray.

Last edited:

Ask a Question