Checking Overseas maps

I have loaded UK maps for a trip there, from Australia, in a few months. They appear on "Items on my device" however when I try and search for UK locations none come up as options.
I hope this is simply because I am in Australia and it will correct itself when I arrive in UK. Is this correct?

Welcome to TTF.

You have used the Switch map option have you not? If so, while you can't use the Navigate function for the European map while in Oz, you can do the Advanced Planning (may be called 'Prepare Route' on your model)

As a starting point, pick a country, city, etc. and as a destination pick a city (it'll assume the same country unless you change that), street, etc.......

I'm assuming your European map is legitimately obtained, of course.

I have loaded UK maps for a trip there, from Australia, in a few months. They appear on "Items on my device"
That means you are checking for it using HOME.
however when I try and search for UK locations none come up as options.
I hope this is simply because I am in Australia and it will correct itself when I arrive in UK. Is this correct?
No, it will not correct itself automatically.

As per the advice from dhn, did you Change preferences, >> Manage maps, Switch maps ?
Once done you can proceed with A .. B Prepare route.

I would highly recommend to make a new Custom POI Category. Call it _UK (the underscore in front of the UK will bring it up to the top of your listing) and put in there every conceivable location/address you want to visit over there.

As the sorting of listings in a POI category goes by distance from current location, nothing will resemble what you are setting up while in Oz and when you are in London, Luton will be before Brighton and Newcastle after. When Berwick-on Trent, Newcastle will be closer than Luton or London, etc.
Worst part, of course, is that the listings start with the street address and not the town, which in a lot of UK addresses will have dropped off the right side of the screen.

The easiest way, to my mind, to make matters more palatable is to just enter all locations you can thing off and then open them with TYRE where it allows you to edit the name of an address without affecting the co-ordinates.
That means you can now preface any address with a meaningful word (Auntie Joe, Millennium Wheel, Warwick Castle, etc.) leave 5 - 6 spaces and then allow the address as entered originally.
It will still not change the sort order but will allow you to find the next place you want to visit very fast.
TYRE will also allow you to move the location instead of editing the address.
You can change the location by numerical coordinates input or by dragging the pointer in that Google map to where exactly you want it.

That little preparation at home is well worth the time and frustration saved while being abroad.

After downloading and installing TYRE on your computer it will attach itself as an additional drop down item on your HOME screen.

I have loaded UK maps for a trip there, from Australia, in a few months. They appear on "Items on my device" however when I try and search for UK locations none come up as options.

I have rewritten parts of the manual as a 'learning' exercise for my own benefit.
You need to switch maps before planning an itinerary.
Use Itinerary planning because you can save an itinerary.
For Map updates, see View folder - Page 62.

Thanks everyone, that worked a treat. I wonder why that isn't in the manual or somewhere obvious.
I rate myself as quite technically savvy yet I was unaware that you needed to "switch" maps to make it work O/S.
Imagine my horror at Heathrow in 5 weeks time, in a hire car, not being able to programme the next destination Cheers

Thanks everyone, that worked a treat. I wonder why that isn't in the manual or somewhere obvious.
I rate myself as quite technically savvy yet I was unaware that you needed to "switch" maps to make it work O/S.
Imagine my horror at Heathrow in 5 weeks time, in a hire car, not being able to programme the next destination Cheers

Heading off in two weeks, bought my EU map month or so ago just to be able to plan trip correctly. Using my TT740 along with Tyre has made the process painless. Will have to survive without Live services for three weeks, but since the alternative is paper maps and my wife telling me where to go and get off -- I can suffer:)

I'm not sure you want to be messing with a 9x application for the 930, just to get that functionality.

Other things may get screwed up in the process since, as you know, the x20 and x30 series are meant to have the 8.351 application.

Maybe Moderators have more background information on members since as of the time of MVL's post I had not seen any reference to the unit monfries uses, and to who's post I had replied.

If a poster does not provide the unit information in a sig line or in his/her profile when registering then we mods have no better knowledge of the unit than anyone else.

Ask a Question