can someone point me in the right direction?

id like to get the 920 poi's on my 720...i have a 2gb sd card...can someone please tell me or link me to the files needed and directions?

id like to get the 920 poi's on my 720...i have a 2gb sd card...can someone please tell me or link me to the files needed and directions?

Asked by you and answered on the 7th. Go here and see post 11:

http://tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=5935&page=2

Follow the link there for the files.

Once you have them, use Explorer to copy your NA map folder to the sd card (just that folder). Now, overwrite the existing .dat files with the ones you retrieved. Now, delete the NA folder from internal memory. Make sure you have a backup on your hd prior to copying & deleting.

"can someone point me in the right direction?"

I can't help myself - the subject in a TomTom forum - well, hopefully, the TT will point you in the right direction!!!!!:D

Asked by you and answered on the 7th. Go here and see post 11:

http://tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=5935&page=2

Follow the link there for the files.

Once you have them, use Explorer to copy your NA map folder to the sd card (just that folder). Now, overwrite the existing .dat files with the ones you retrieved. Now, delete the NA folder from internal memory. Make sure you have a backup on your hd prior to copying & deleting.

ya but it only give u one of the files u need...someone said its about 300mb and i only received about 180mb's...plus i didnt know the exact instructions for doing it

It's 190 megs or so zipped in one zip file. my earlier post saying 300 megs should have read about 445 megs uncompressed and installed in two files. don't know where I got the 300.

the larger crpoi.dat file is about 169 megs, and the poi.dat about 276 megs.

if you're seeing those numbers you have the new files installed.

the old poi files are a lot smaller, about 58 and 88 megs respectively.

total map size depends on what you have on your unit, but it should be somewhere in the vicinity of 1.6 to 1.7 gig.

ughh...im no so good with computers....i have the file but cant unzip it...it just looks like ever other tomtom file but is only 180kb's...i dragged it into the na maps but i dont think it did anything...can someone elaborate on exactly what to do?

ok so i unzipped the files...copied the whole na map folder (1.7gb) to the sd card....then there were two folders....maps and na...i deleted the na and transfered the files into the maps folder...did i do it right?

ok so i unzipped the files...copied the whole na map folder (1.7gb) to the sd card....then there were two folders....maps and na...i deleted the na and transfered the files into the maps folder...did i do it right?

Nope.

Folders.jpg

The map folder has to be called what your map is.

can it be done with a 2gb sd card?

Just the NA map folder and contents? Yes. That's the theory. Here's the reality: a 2 gig card does not hold 2 gigs of stuff. More like 1.78 or so. The problem is that the NA map with enlarged poi.dat files (which MUST reside in the folder to see them) & other stuff 'may' be larger than the max you have available.

So, you might need to do some creating 'stripping' of files from the NA map folder before putting it on the card. My suggestion would be to move the cspeech.dat files for states where you don't think you'll need voice recognition, For example, the TX (Texas) file is about 42 megs itself. Again, don't just delete them. Use Explorer to move them to folder on your hard drive for safe keeping (you may want to move up to a 4 gig in the future; you could add them back, then.)

Un Zip

Need to unzip them and put the 2 .dat files into the map folder.

I'm sorry but I am new to all of this and I did download that larger POI file (Post 64) but I, also, don't know what to do with it. I have never used that mega program before and so I don't know how to unzip that file.

Please, I need some or, should I say, I need a lot of HELP.

Thanks,

Kathy O.:confused:

first do here....and download the english version where it lists all the languages... http://www.rarlab.com/ then it should unzip those files automatically....then u need to have at least a 2gb sd card and open ur tomtom under my computer...look for the na map 2gb folder shown in the above post...then drag that folder to ur sd card...then like said above u can remove some speech files to make room for the bigger poi's...i removed tx, in, il...and that did it...then move the unzipped files into the folder and ur done...then once everything is there u can delete the na maps 2gb folder from ur tomtom

Ask a Question