Can not get an English Computer Voice for TT 950 Go Live.

TomTom Model(s)
Go 950 Live
Greetings,

I just purchased a TT 950 Go Live from a German store. I live in Germany, but need English directions. I loaded the TomTom Home software on my computer, and went to update the voices. It listed a bunch of choices for the Talking voices, but when I selected the Computer voices, nothing shows up. When I look on the TT itself it shows that it is using Katrin (German), but shows two other greyed out voices that are UK English (Daniel and Emily). When you try to select the greyed out voices it tells you to "Install from CD or download from tomtom.com".

I am currently using the downloaded Bonnie, English US, but would like to hear the street names and other information that the computer voices give you.

BTW, I am new to TomTom. I am a very experienced Garmin guy, and a geocacher. I am trying to get use to the Home software.

Any help would be appreciated.

On the unit on page 8 of preferences, have you set the language to English?

When connected to Home, Add Computer Voices, if you don't see any English voices listed by default, change the selection filter to All. The English voices should appear for selection.

Don't try to grab too many as each voice does take up 40 megs or more when installed.

Still no joy...

Thanks for the quick reply.

My 950 only has 7 pages under the Preferences Menu, and the language has been set to English UK.
I reselected the English UK item, and then reconnected to my computer and TomTom Home ver. 2.2.3.1894. Still nothing shows up under the Computer Voices Search, even if I do select All.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again.

Well, when you connect the unit to Home, are you able to Add voices-->Computer voices and download from TomTom's site?

For some strange reason Home isn't offering TTS Voices when you plug a 950 in to the PC, I have tried my device and asked another experianced user to check with the same results!

Anyway this doesn't mean you can't have English TTS voices installed, click either/ both of the following links to download a couple of TTS voice packs from the servers at TomTom:

British Kate Voice

British Simon Voice

Extract the folders/ files from the download to your device's "LoquendoTTS" folder, I would recommend you use WinRar for doing this which can be downloaded from Here - Mike

Thanks, I love having options!

Thank you! I will try it out ASAP. I knew there had to be another way to do this besides the Home software. Merry Christmas!

Hope this works for you, it should do. Just so you are aware TomTom are aware of this issue and are looking in to it so at some future point you should be able to load Computer voices via the Home application - No idea of a duration for the fix though - Mike

I have direct links for all the TTS Loq7 voice packs, any preferences as to which ones you are after? - Mike

I have direct links for all the TTS Loq7 voice packs, any preferences as to which ones you are after? - Mike
Are there any other female TTS voice packs. Here in the US only "Susan" seems standard, but I have seen mentioned a "Kate", so I downloadit it from above. I find I can hear better a female voice, but want to find one I can tolerate better than Susan and am looking for options.

Thanks.

Loquendo only makes a few voices per country (see here), and for female English Tomtom only licensed Susan for the US, and Kate for the UK.

There are lots of other non-computer voices you can download from home, but they won't read street names.

Loquendo only makes a few voices per country (see here), and for female English Tomtom only licensed Susan for the US, and Kate for the UK.

There are lots of other non-computer voices you can download from home, but they won't read street names.

I had seen the large Loquendo drop down menu before, but nobody explained the TT Licensing issue. Blast.

But for some reason, TT CS this AM told me Susan (English US) and Simon (English UK) are my only choices. Not even a Dave. Does that sound right?

I had seen the large Loquendo drop down menu before, but nobody explained the TT Licensing issue. Blast.

But for some reason, TT CS this AM told me Susan (English US) and Simon (English UK) are my only choices. Not even a Dave. Does that sound right?

Nope, there are definitely 4. I think Susan, Kate, Simon, and Dave. Both my devices are undergoing subscription map updates right now... I'll confirm once the devices are ready.

Get the voices via add voice -> Computer Voice in HOME.

HOME's only offering Simon(UK) and Susan(US) for my 740 at the moment. I'm sure Dave(US) and Kate(UK) were options a while ago.

The link for Kate and Dave are here if you want to download manually:
http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/tts/loquendo7/American_English-male-Dave.cab
http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/tts/loquendo7/British_English-female-Kate.cab

Excellent. Many Thanks!!!!!;)

Another couple things,

In the US voice file, I note folders which appear related to particular US states (NV for example) are those folders used any now?

I am trying to find where to edit some so I can get "Via" pronounced correctly (V EE A instead of V EYE A) as well as some particular street names (Pecos as P EH C OH S not P EE C U S) and am also looking to maybe use diacrtical marks to indicate how certain letters should be pronounced (long i; short e; pronounce vowels like they do in Italy (AEIOU =Ah Eh EE OH OOO), etc.)

Suggestions welcomed.

Use Explorer to rename cphoneme.dat to cphoneme.old in your specific map folder.

See if that helps at all.

Ask a Question