Add voice Dave (English)

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom XL-335TM; Map 935.5811
I'm having trouble adding the voice "Dave" to my TT. I've read the thread on how to extract the file "Am_Eng-Dave.cab" using WinRar to the desktop then xfer files over to "voices" on my TomTom. But I don't get the expected files until I expand about three folders. Am I doing something wrong?

This first image is what I get after extracting the cab folder with WinRar to my desktop. (see image "Dave-1")

If I double click on 'Data', then 'Voices' then 'Dave', I see the files listed in second image (see image "Dave-2")

Are these files in the second image what I need to copy to my TomTom in the 'voices' folder?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Oops... I think I was referring to a thread that was too old (2007). That was for 'non computer' voices I think (actually the example was for silence voice).

Ok, if I use WinRar and extract the files from the 'Am_Eng_Dave.cab' directly to my TT XL-335TM into 'LoquendoTTS' folder, what happens to the existing subdir "data" within 'LoquendoTTS'? That subdir is already there for my Susan voice. I assume WinRAR will ask me if I want to replace those files in 'data'. Will that wipe out Susan?

Thanks.

Oops... I think I was referring to a thread that was too old (2007). That was for 'non computer' voices I think (actually the example was for silence voice).

Ok, if I use WinRar and extract the files from the 'Am_Eng_Dave.cab' directly to my TT XL-335TM into 'LoquendoTTS' folder, what happens to the existing subdir "data" within 'LoquendoTTS'? That subdir is already there for my Susan voice. I assume WinRAR will ask me if I want to replace those files in 'data'. Will that wipe out Susan?

Thanks.
That's not how these archiving programs work. The path is there not to replace the existing folder, but to provide direction to the program so it knows into what folders it is to place the files. So no, Susan will remain. Whether she and Dave can live peacefully together in married bliss (or should I say, within the limits of the memory available) is another story :D Those files take up a considerable amount of memory. Do you actually have 46MB or so to spare? If not, you may have to relegate Susan to your computer's hard drive to make space for Dave.

Thanks Canderson,

Yes, I have 250meg free. I was surprised that after updating to the new map (860) that I actually gained about 50 meg of space. Don't know how TT did that when they added a number of roads and a lot more ALG in Canada. Hmmm? :eek:

I'd like to try out the Dave voice. There seem to be a number of users who prefer Dave over Susan. As I get older, I noticed that I don't hear a woman's voice as well as I used to (just ask my wife as she is always saying, "I told you that already!" :rolleyes:)

Looking at the files in the sub-directory "data" under 'LoquendoTTS' sub-dir, most of the files (and size) are the same as those for Susan. Just the date is different. With Susan, the files are dated 2009, Dave's files are dated 2007. I have 2 full backups on my PC so if anything goes wrong, I can restore my TT.

I wonder if I should use HOME to remove Susan from my TT (to my PC), then using WinRAR extract Dave to my TT. Then test it out, and if I don't like Dave, I can use HOME to remove Dave and reinstall Susan????

Thanks.

I wonder if I should use HOME to remove Susan from my TT (to my PC), then using WinRAR extract Dave to my TT. Then test it out, and if I don't like Dave, I can use HOME to remove Dave and reinstall Susan????

Thanks.
With as much space as you've got available, you don't need to shuffle Susan off to your computer. Susan and Dave can cohabit, if you like. You can install Dave directly to your TT, and if you don't like it, Home will see him there for removal later if you like. Manage my GO will see what's on your TT and what's on your hard drive.

Adding "Dave" voice worked like a champ. Thanks Canderson for your advice and guidance.

WinRar did ask me if I wanted to replace existing files with same name, and I said "no to all". Since they were on my TT already ? and a more recent date ? I didn't want to take a chance. I tested "Dave" and "Susan" and they both work fine. I noticed that I couldn't see Dave's voice on HOME until I rebooted and reconnected to HOME... which makes sense. Then I could see Dave under 'manage my device'. If I get a space problem on my TT I can decide on which voice I want to keep and move the other to my PC.

Thanks again. :)

Ask a Question