Can I tweak a frequent route and save it?

Can't figure out how to do this. I have a favorite that is to a relatives over 400 miles away. The route calculated takes me off the interstate for about 5 miles then back on - very close to my home. No matter what I try - I cannot get the route to simply state on the interstate rather than take this 5 mile "shortcut". Every time we make this trip and I bring up this favorite the route at the beginning is wrong..

How can I create a route - and save it forever? :confused:

<snip> How can I create a route - and save it forever? :confused:

You can use Google Maps and make an itinerary for those 400 miles. Then use this site...

Houghi.org
http://houghi.org/tomtom/
...to generate an itinerary script and then download it to your TomTom.

Read the instructions on Houghi's page. It's important to move the 'start point' and 'destination' slightly for Google maps to add the lat/lons. You can move it back to the original point, but this movement must be done to generate lat/lons (you'll see the lat/lons pop up in your start or end line above in Google.maps). Then after you have the route configured the way you want it, on Google maps page, click 'Link to this page' to generate the proper link. Then highlight that link and paste it into the "houghi.org" link I provided above.

Also, I found it sometimes necessary to click on the route and drag it slightly (not enough for it to say 'unknown road') to make sure TomTom takes me that exact route. For instance, TomTom doesn't know about Hwy 9A being a by-pass for the eastern side of Jacksonville, FL. Google maps routes me that way, but the TomTom won't unless I click and drag a few spots on hwy 9A. You will see these show up on the route on the left-hand side of Google Maps.

At the bottom of the "houghi.org" link, there's a video of the new additions to Google maps and how to drag/drop to change route... and add way points.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Tried this - still an issue

Thanks for the suggestions. Tomtom keeps trying to correct this route no matter what I attempt. I did the route in Google and it was perfect. I bring it into TomTom (as the itinerary) and it changes the portion of I-75 to again - this few mile detour that makes no sense. And if I try to Find Alternative Route - either Avoiding roads or Travel Via - it totally starts giving me silly options rather than just stay on I-75. Very frustrating.

Can't figure out how to do this. I have a favorite that is to a relatives over 400 miles away. The route calculated takes me off the interstate for about 5 miles then back on - very close to my home. No matter what I try - I cannot get the route to simply state on the interstate rather than take this 5 mile "shortcut". Every time we make this trip and I bring up this favorite the route at the beginning is wrong..

How can I create a route - and save it forever? :confused:

Can you post some locations so we can try and see if we get the same routing? Do not use the exact addresses but something that gives the same result.

Thanks for the suggestions. Tomtom keeps trying to correct this route no matter what I attempt. I did the route in Google and it was perfect. I bring it into TomTom (as the itinerary) and it changes the portion of I-75 to again - this few mile detour that makes no sense. And if I try to Find Alternative Route - either Avoiding roads or Travel Via - it totally starts giving me silly options rather than just stay on I-75. Very frustrating.
Hi Keith,

Yes, I had a bit of trouble (argument?) from TomTom on part of the route I wanted to go. That's why I mentioned that sometimes you need to click on the route on Google maps and drag it a bit to create a 'way point' to force TomTom to go that way. Drag along the same road you want to go... enough to create lat/lons for a waypoint. You'll see the waypoint pop up in Google maps on the left-hand side of the screen. It's a bit of extra effort, but if it's an often used route, it's worth it.

Here's an example of an itinerary where I added some way points to force TomTom to use 9A eastern bypass around Jacksonville, FL:

-deleted lat long ||4| <- beginning address hidden
-8020042|2659131|CR-812 W/Lantana Rd|1|
-8039565|2741353|Okeechobee Rd/SR-70 E|1|
-8152402|3017320|SR-9A N|1| <- waypoint added
-8153246|3033171|SR-9A N|1| <- waypoint added
-8154434|3034323|SR-9A N|1| <- waypoint added
-8155481|3035250|SR-9A N|1| <- waypoint added
-8157586|3035207|Merrill Rd|1|
-8160350|3035476|N University Blvd|1|
-deleted lat long |N University Blvd|3| <- ending address hidden
~

Hope this helps.

I found what sometimes helps is to pick a point (or points) JUST AFTER some intersection so that TT makes the turn YOU WANT at the intersection. If you pick an intersection at Point Y and then the next intersection point x, TT might take road A or road B to get to point X. Whereas if you have gone just beyond Point Y forcing TT to make the turn, it it will keep to the road you want.

Route Details

Basically I am plotting a route from Troy, MI to London, KY... I-75 south the whole way! In Detroit - you have to take exit 51B to stay on I-75. Thats all you have to do.

TomTom always picks exit 53B - taking you to I94. Then to I96 etc etc. About a 8 minute route then back on to I-75....

No matter what I do - cannot get it to STAY on I75.....

Any thoughts?

Things I have Tried

I have tried basically all the suggestions. Thanks all for the input. Still nothing seems to work. I used Tyre. I used Google Maps and made sure I moved the Start and End Pins.... One the itinerary is input into TomTom - it recalculates and switches the I-75 straight route... The route that Google Maps picks!

I have tried basically all the suggestions. Thanks all for the input. Still nothing seems to work. I used Tyre. I used Google Maps and made sure I moved the Start and End Pins.... One the itinerary is input into TomTom - it recalculates and switches the I-75 straight route... The route that Google Maps picks!

what have you selected? Fastest? Shortest?

Ask a Question