Can I route plan on computer and d/l to device?

TomTom Model(s)
XXL540T
Greetings everyone! I recently purchased a XXL540T and find it to be a decent device until I went to plan future routes. I'm planning on a cross country trip over the course of several weeks and would like to go ahead and plan my routes. With Google Maps, I can plan the route, any stops and get a link that will always show me my planned route. Of course I'd rather use my new TT though! I've also used Microsoft Streets and Trips and found it to be similar to Googles functionality.

My question: Can I plan my route on a computer and then download that SAVED route onto my TT? If not that, can I plan a route in TT device itself and save it there? In TT at Home, I see link to use TT Route Planner but that just takes me to a web page (net access required and not always available on the road) that has very limited functionality. From what I can see is that you can only enter the start and end, you do not have options for waypoints or changing the route. Amazing how little functionality there is in the route planner. THEN to top it off, once you do accept your suggested route from point A to B, you can't download that on to you TT. What the heck???

Please tell me that I'm incorrect and that I didn't make a mistake by purchasing a TT.

(background - Ive been a computer admin for over 20yrs and have used other GPS products before. The soln might be there but I'm just not seeing it.)

Any tool that will create *.itn (TomTom itinerary) files can be used with your 540. Each itinerary may have a maximum of 48 waypoints, but you can have as many itinerary files as you can fit onto your device, so it's pretty well unlimited. You just store any *.itn files that you create in the "itn" folder on your unit using your PC.

This is actually one of the advantages over the newer TomTom units - for whatever reason, they've stopped supporting itineraries.

The tool called TYRE (found here: http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/index.php ) is one of the more popular approaches to creating TomTom *.itn files.

Just realized - you're talking about the limitations of A to B planning. That's not even the right selection from the device menu for your long haul itineraries. You can plan itineraries on the face of your unit or using Home as well as with 3rd party tools. Don't use "A/B Prepare Route", use "Itinerary planning" on a subsequent screen if you find you can manage it without the extra tool. This method also creates *.itn files in that "itn" folder I mentioned.

Any tool that will create *.itn (TomTom itinerary) files can be used with your 540. Each itinerary may have a maximum of 48 waypoints, but you can have as many itinerary files as you can fit onto your device, so it's pretty well unlimited. You just store any *.itn files that you create in the "itn" folder on your unit using your PC.

This is actually one of the advantages over the newer TomTom units - for whatever reason, they've stopped supporting itineraries.

The tool called TYRE (found here: http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/index.php ) is one of the more popular approaches to creating TomTom *.itn files.

Bless you! I'll check out TYRE and hopefully it will provide a decent interface.

Just realized - you're talking about the limitations of A to B planning. That's not even the right selection from the device menu for your long haul itineraries. You can plan itineraries on the face of your unit or using Home as well as with 3rd party tools. Don't use "A/B Prepare Route", use "Itinerary planning" on a subsequent screen if you find you can manage it without the extra tool. This method also creates *.itn files in that "itn" folder I mentioned.

gotcha. I was actually using the term AtoB as a generic term but yes I now see that's to be used when I "just" need to get from AtoB and don't have preferences about anything else.

Kind of a shame that the "route planner" in TT at Home doesn't allow a lof of customization. From what I can tell its not much different than using a paper map! It will plan AtoB but no way to save it or move it over to you TT. crazy....

thanks so much for your help. I've found over the past several years that more and more companies are skimping on user manuals, features, FAQs, etc and are now relying on community support for proper documentation

No kidding .. the only authoritative (and reasonably complete) source of docs for my handheld Garmin units is the Wiki that has been created by users for those models!

that tyre link continues to attempt to get me to download babylon. What the heck is that? It does not appear to be anything to do with maps. What up>?>>

Ask a Question