Battery charge problem

I have an identical problem. It is *not* my electrical output. All other appliances work including other power intensive GPSs. I drive a hybrid and low power would be most ironic. It begnis charging, does so for about five minutes, gets very hot, then stops. Runs down in about 60 miles and becomes a brick. The app is next to useless for me now. Have tried three different chargers and four different cars from a 1985 Cadillac to my 2005 Prius. I love TomTom. Sigh. What to do? What to do?

Welcome to the forum, there must be a fault with your device, the battery charger circuit in the TomTom monitors the battery temperature and when it gets too hot it stops charging, this is to prevent it from catching fire!

As your unit is getting to the thermal cut off point within 5 minutes there is something wrong with it, contact TomTom support for an warranty repair/ replacement - Mike

I have split and moved these posts in to a new thread which is now in a more appropriate forum section.

As for powering the iPhone, its a fickle unit at the best of times, what charger are you using for the iPhone? Griffin Power Jolt is good unit as I know these work - Mike

I first tried the Griffin. Found it not charging, said to myself "Hmm, perhaps it's the charger." Since Apple does not, for some inexplicable reason not make its own charger, I bought a Belkin. Seemed to work for three minutes longer than the Griffin, then *POOF!*. The charger(s) work splendidly when the iPhone is playing music, doing other sorts of things, or simply charging - but when beating the TomTom, the iPhone becomes hot enough to fry an egg, and the charger clicks off in about 5 minutes.

As the iPhone battery is gobsmacked at the best of times, I may take it in and have the battery replaced under warranty ... however is just seems inexplicable.

Aside from the charging issue, my iPhone 4 GPS would become erratic and the display would dim when driving in hot weather against the sun. My fix -- mounted the unit over an A/C vent. No more problems!

Ask a Question