Backing up my Rider 2

TomTom Model(s)
tom-tom rider 2 europe
Hello!
I just got a new tom-tom rider with western europe maps. Since i live in eastern europe, i downloaded from tom-tom maps for eastern europe, too. Now i found out, that i need a bigger SD card since both of the maps wont fit my card. But this isn't a problem really.

Problem is, I first gave a full backup through tomtom home software, then installed a new SD card and tried to restore the backup. It starts to restore, but does nothing actually and just hangs. The sd card itself is functional, because when i install tom-tom software on it, it works just fine. But I just cannot restore from the backup i did. So the backup feature for me is useless - unless someone knows the answer.

Here's the real question - if i just back up the original SD card and copy the contents onto the new card? I did it and it works, but i don't know if every feature and detail works, since i hooked up my cell and headset, created a lot of waypoints etc. etc. is everything i need on the sd card with the RIDER 2? is it enough if i sometimes back up only the sd card, without using the HOME software?

and about the speed - copying the whole sd card with the card reader takes just about 10 seconds instead of 20 minutes with the cable hooked up.
btw, tried search feature, but searching for backup gave me too many different topics.

please help, i really need this to work, im about to do a lot of touring around europe and i don't want this to fail on me since i didn't do everything right.

Hello!
I just got a new tom-tom rider with western europe maps. Since i live in eastern europe, i downloaded from tom-tom maps for eastern europe, too. Now i found out, that i need a bigger SD card since both of the maps wont fit my card. But this isn't a problem really.

Problem is, I first gave a full backup through tomtom home software, then installed a new SD card and tried to restore the backup. It starts to restore, but does nothing actually and just hangs. The sd card itself is functional, because when i install tom-tom software on it, it works just fine. But I just cannot restore from the backup i did. So the backup feature for me is useless - unless someone knows the answer.

Here's the real question - if i just back up the original SD card and copy the contents onto the new card? I did it and it works, but i don't know if every feature and detail works, since i hooked up my cell and headset, created a lot of waypoints etc. etc. is everything i need on the sd card with the RIDER 2? is it enough if i sometimes back up only the sd card, without using the HOME software?

and about the speed - copying the whole sd card with the card reader takes just about 10 seconds instead of 20 minutes with the cable hooked up.
btw, tried search feature, but searching for backup gave me too many different topics.

Hi, I'm new here & have recently bought a TTRider V2 and have experienced similar problems to you. I carried out a back up to pc using the TT Home software & then tried to restore to a new card but this failed stating that I need to install the original card - which is not really useful as I was trying to produce a back up copy. Question is does TT allow you to make a back up copy , did you manage to sort this out?

Also, I'm told by TT that TTHome V2.3 has issues with the Ver7 maps that do not allow planning of the route to be carried out on the pc when synchronised with TTRV2 - anyone experiencied this?

Thanks for any help/advice on these matters

Pete :D

Try doing the copy via Windows explorer, not home. I've got a 2Gig SD card in mine.

Just connect the TT to the computer, but don't open Home. Open Windows Explorer and browse to the TomTom and do a select all, copy to your hard drive (make sure that you are showing all files and folders (hidden files)).
Copy all that back to another SD card and you've got your larger SD card installed.

Try doing the copy via Windows explorer, not home. I've got a 2Gig SD card in mine.

Just connect the TT to the computer, but don't open Home. Open Windows Explorer and browse to the TomTom and do a select all, copy to your hard drive (make sure that you are showing all files and folders (hidden files)).
Copy all that back to another SD card and you've got your larger SD card installed.

Thanks for the advice Thom, I'll try it & let you know how I get on!

Cheers
Pete:D

Thom,
Tried copying all files to pc & back again on new SD card. Message on booting up is that no maps are available - this is the same screen when trying to use TT Home to plan a route on the PC. I think this is a protection issue with the latest Version 7 maps, (mine is the western europe version, not just uk & Ireland).

This has also been a huge headache for me. If you got the "no maps found" error this link should help:
www.tomtom.com/9851
I was able to manually copy the missing files as outlined in item 2 and get the Rider to boot.

I got a V7 map and struggled with it a long time before I learned it couldn't be used unless the Tomtom App was also V7. Since Tripmaster won't work with V7 App I am stuck with the old map and old App if I want to use Tripmaster.

That said has anyone else upgraded to the North_Americal_2GB map V7.2 and found street names that are like 5 lines of meaningless text? Glad I got the map as a free update, I'd be unhappy to pay 80 bucks for something I can't use.

The Tomtom Home restore fails for me most of the time. Now I have a handful of SD cards each with different combinations.

This has also been a huge headache for me. If you got the "no maps found" error this link should help:
www.tomtom.com/9851
I was able to manually copy the missing files as outlined in item 2 and get the Rider to boot.

I got a V7 map and struggled with it a long time before I learned it couldn't be used unless the Tomtom App was also V7. Since Tripmaster won't work with V7 App I am stuck with the old map and old App if I want to use Tripmaster.

That said has anyone else upgraded to the North_Americal_2GB map V7.2 and found street names that are like 5 lines of meaningless text? Glad I got the map as a free update, I'd be unhappy to pay 80 bucks for something I can't use.

The Tomtom Home restore fails for me most of the time. Now I have a handful of SD cards each with different combinations.

Thanks for the reply.
I checked out the backup SD card against the list of files that should be in the map folder, one mentioned was not there i.e. <mapname>.meta.dct but there is a <mapname>meta.mct file Checked the original file & this is identical i.e. no <mapname>.meta.dct file but has a <mapname>meta.mct file?

It looks like TT do not want you to create a backup as in item 3 on the list in the quoted link it states:

3. A map that came preinstalled on a memory card has been copied to another memory card.

Answer: Be sure you use the original memory card.

Anyway, to sum up both original & backup SD cards have same files neither have the <mapname>.meta.dct

Thanks for the input

Pete :confused:

Thanks for the reply.
I checked out the backup SD card against the list of files that should be in the map folder, one mentioned was not there i.e. <mapname>.meta.dct but there is a <mapname>meta.mct file Checked the original file & this is identical i.e. no <mapname>.meta.dct file but has a <mapname>meta.mct file?

It looks like TT do not want you to create a backup as in item 3 on the list in the quoted link it states:

3. A map that came preinstalled on a memory card has been copied to another memory card.

Answer: Be sure you use the original memory card.

Anyway, to sum up both original & backup SD cards have same files neither have the <mapname>.meta.dct

Thanks for the input

Pete :confused:

My dct file did not get copied during a restore and I got a "map needs activation" message. Tomtom phone support was helpful and courteous and emailed me a new dct file which fixed things. This was for a map I downloaded.

Out of curiosity I googled your problem and found this link- probably I should get a life;)
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cach...8025+tomtom+mct+file&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

Post an update if you find out how to backup a preinstalled retail SD card map. Too bad the anti-piracy measures mostly alienate the real customers.

Backup of the TT Rider V2

Hi, I'm new here & have recently bought a TTRider V2 and have experienced similar problems to you. I carried out a back up to pc using the TT Home software & then tried to restore to a new card but this failed stating that I need to install the original card - which is not really useful as I was trying to produce a back up copy. Question is does TT allow you to make a back up copy , did you manage to sort this out?

Also, I'm told by TT that TTHome V2.3 has issues with the Ver7 maps that do not allow planning of the route to be carried out on the pc when synchronised with TTRV2 - anyone experiencied this?

Thanks for any help/advice on these matters

I am new to TT, this is a dumb question I know but where did you get the software to do the backup from??

Thanks
Dave :confused:

SD card 2gig

Hello Thom
Where did you get your SD 2Gig card? We live in Oklahoma and would like to
start using our Rider V2 more now that we took our first trip with it.
We did get it in July (this year) but just used it last week when we took a 2100 mile trip to Calif. and AZ. TX. and back home.
Along the way someone took our book for TT out of the back of the bike and now with no book I have got no ID on how to do anything with it.
any help from you would be cool.

Thanks
Dave :D

I've got a MicroCenter close to me. It was one of their "deals" not a name brand or anything.

There aren't any stores in OK, but you can order online (www.microcenter.com). I'd just look to the nearest place selling them and pick one up there. (make sure you don't go with anything bigger, I've heard that the 2GB is basically the limit)

I am new to TT, this is a dumb question I know but where did you get the software to do the backup from??

Thanks
Dave :confused:

The easiest way is to connect the TT to the computer and then go into Windows Explorer. It'll show up as a computer drive with a drive letter and name. Open it up and make sure that all files and folders are shown (not hidden) copy the entire contents of the internal memory somewhere to your PC (this should take about 10-20 minutes depending on the machine).

TomTom home can back it up as well, but it's always good to have this "full" backup to rely on too. With these things you can never be too safe.

Ask a Question