Backing up and restoring

Ok, so i totally forgot to do a backup before a major application update, :(. What im trying to figure out is, is there anyway to rollback to the previous application i had on there before 8.3? Also im guessing i lose everything? favorites, etc?

What was your previous firmware version and did it come with the unit or did you upgrade to it? If you upgraded, then it's still on your machine in the download/program folder of tomtom.

Start Home and go to add maps/voices, etc. and navigate to the screen where 'items on my computer is'. Click on the firmware row and expand if necessary. Click on the 'more info' link. Is one of the items your previous firmware?

If so,move to the 'remove items from my go' icon and select the firmware to remove. Ignore the warning. Remove the firmware. Then, go back to the 'items on my computer' ... firmware and reinstall the previous version.

BUT..........

Before you do any of this, make a complete backup of your current unit's contents using Explorer, not Home. Ensure that hidden files/folders are showing.

None of your favourites should be lost as you are not removing your map folder and the favourites are kept in the mapsettings.cfg file in that map folder.

And, make ANOTHER backup.

TT Support walked me through this today. This is all from memory so forgive me if I forget a step or two (I think I had to restart TT HOME and disconnect the device more often than indicated in my instructions) -- that's why step 1 is critical

1. CRITICAL: Make a backup of everything using Windows Explorer before trying this.
2. Delete the application. *DO NOT* let TomTom HOME copy the application to your hard drive.
2.5: Exit from TT HOME.
3. Delete My Documents\TomTom\HOME\FromDevice and My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download (I'm told these are backups of what is on your device, and since we want TT HOME to re-download the firmware, this will prevent it from restoring a faulty/unwanted backup).
4. From the Device menu inside TT HOME, click Disconnect Device. DO NOT remove the cable! Ignore all prompts from TT HOME, we're not doing what it thinks we're doing.
5. While the device is rebooting, close TT HOME.
6. When the familiar yellow screen is back, start TT HOME again. Let it update your device; it should want to install firmware 7.481. I don't know why, but it does.
7. After installing the new firmware, click Device, Disconnect Device again. Let your TT reboot.

At this point, if you want to continue using 7.481 you can. If you want to run the Update cycle again it will try to install version 8.300.

TT Support walked me through this today. This is all from memory so forgive me if I forget a step or two (I think I had to restart TT HOME and disconnect the device more often than indicated in my instructions) -- that's why step 1 is critical

1. CRITICAL: Make a backup of everything using Windows Explorer before trying this.
2. Delete the application. *DO NOT* let TomTom HOME copy the application to your hard drive.
2.5: Exit from TT HOME.
3. Delete My Documents\TomTom\HOME\FromDevice and My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download (I'm told these are backups of what is on your device, and since we want TT HOME to re-download the firmware, this will prevent it from restoring a faulty/unwanted backup).
4. From the Device menu inside TT HOME, click Disconnect Device. DO NOT remove the cable! Ignore all prompts from TT HOME, we're not doing what it thinks we're doing.
5. While the device is rebooting, close TT HOME.
6. When the familiar yellow screen is back, start TT HOME again. Let it update your device; it should want to install firmware 7.481. I don't know why, but it does.
7. After installing the new firmware, click Device, Disconnect Device again. Let your TT reboot.

At this point, if you want to continue using 7.481 you can. If you want to run the Update cycle again it will try to install version 8.300.

Uhh.. I have a question... Did tech support say this step or was this a step of dhn's from somewhere else? If tech support said step number 2, that's just sad. Even THEY know that their own software is USELESS.

It's not that. It's just that you want TomTom to download the application again. If Home sees it somewhere, it is possible Home will install what's on your pc instead of your getting a fresh dl from the tt servers.

It's six of one --- half a dozen of another. I suggested Home remove the application from the unit. As we all have seen, sometimes asking a poster to remove 'loose files' (i.e, the operating system) causes confusion and/or errors.

In my mind, either method will work.

In fact, backing up the map folder and wiping the unit clean will also work.

The key to all this is to always have an Explorer backup that you can revert to.

Sorry for the late response, but i was kind of confused on cputrdoc's instructions. So i followd dhn's. First i tried restoring via the first backup i had from when i first connected my device. It kept getting errors that it couldnt copy files to my device. First it was the mp3's then the images. So i gaev up with that and tried the second suggestion. I uninstalled 8.3 using the remove items from my device. I then installed an earlier version application from the add items and maps button. Doing this worked. THe only problem i have now is my favorites are gone. The mapsettings.cfg is a 2kb file with nothing in it. I tried copying over the 30KB file from when i did my explorer backup to it. But the device keeps resetting it to a blank file some how. Is there anyway for this to work so i dont haev to go readdign all my favorites? Also, whats the best way to kind of giev the device a kickstart? Just reset it with the reset button? I just want it to be fresh and not have any glitches in it from me doing all these changes, restores and etc not fully working. I dont care if i lose settings or voice downloads etc, i really just dotn want to have to enter in all my favorites again.

Many don't use Favourites just because of the grief that can be caused by updates.

To resolve your issue, download poiedit.exe from www.poiedit.com. Now open your backed up MapSettings.cfg file in the poiedit application. You will see all your favourites listed. Save each one as a poi item and put them all in a custom poi category (you can call the category 'Favourites', for example. Now copy the custom poi file into your specific map folder.

I am awaiting delivery of my TomTom One v3 from Amazon and have found this forum very useful in urging me not to get too excited and BACKUP FIRST.

I propose creating a Tom TOM folder inside my general Holiday folder and trust this will be OK. Presume this is what is meant by using Explorer, or is it?I have windows xp.
Bought TomTom after reading several reviews comparing with Garmin. It is for use by my wife, so needs to be simple.
regards to all,
johnep

I assume the holiday folder is on your hard drive? There is nothing wrong with putting the folder in another folder, just remember where it is if you need it. :D

Also, you'd probably want to create a new folder after you do update your firmware and maps. DON'T just copy everything into the previous folder. That's the problem with Home's backups. They simply overwrite previous backups.

When you use Explorer, make sure hidden files/folders are showing as are extensions for known file types.

Also, feel free to come back here with any issues/problems/concerns or gripes you may have. ;)

Thanks dhn, everthing worked out fine. Noticed some weird things happening though. Like the car symbol not changing when i select a different one. Also, since im using the 8.01 application is there anyway to change the YARDS to FEET. And can anyoen explain to me what the top right text is that comes up. Usually its only exits. Like i know the bottom is the next turn/road to take. Is the top right the next exit/highway ill be taking? I know on the 8.3 application they changed it so the top right shows the next road.

Car symbols only show up in 3D map view, not 2D. I don't think there is a way to change yards to feet. In preferences, select 'street name preferences' and see what you've checked or not checked there.

More questions about Backup/Restore

I understand about backing up using explorer & intend to do as soon as my 930 comes. I intend to copy it to my portable hard disk as well as my PC as we go off traveling for a few months at a time.

What I am not clear about is can the unit be wiped clean removing everything then by copying the backup on to the unit, it will be back to the condition it was when I got it (is it that simple). Sorry if it's a dumb question but I know that the only way to do a similar thing on a PC or my PDA is using a ghost image or re-installing the operating system.

Also after having backed up everything before I update to the LMG & navcore should I then do a backup again after this update as well? I have a 1Tb portable drive so space isn't a problem.

By making an Explorer backup of the unit right out of the box, you are creating a 'safety net' in case something goes wrong when trying to do updates. It happens........;). The backup allows the user to get back to the original factory status.

Yep, a new Explorer backup should be made after every major update including firmware and especially maps. And, of course, to a different folder than the previous backup.

Ok thanks, my 930 arrived about half an hour ago & I am now in the process of doing a full backup while I read the manual.
So if I get problems I can just erase all the contents off the tomtom & copy everything back from the hard disk.
Will leave it a few days before I think of doing any updates until I get familiar with it.

Ask a Question