Auto power off app for TomTom One?

Hey Birdman, have you been able to create a custom menu that provides the Battery Saving Preferences button?

Thanks,

Steve

My 910 powers on and off with the vehicle. The power off is, as already noted, a part of the battery saving menu. Just select power off when dc is disconnected. Power on does not have a menu setting on my 910 that I am aware of but perhaps someone can help with your specific TT model.

Unfortunately, no. I'm investigating other possibilities, but no luck yet.

Thanks for researching this for me.

I, and many other One 3rd Edition owners, will genuflect to the person who solves this problem!

:D

My 910 powers on and off with the vehicle. ...
I didn't get power on with the 920. Is that one of the differences between the two models? Perhaps it never turned off. I noticed that once I went out to the ATM and it indicated that it was going to power down in the countdown cycle, but since I came back within a few minutes, I noticed that it came back on. If I leave for a longer period I have to manually switch it back on.

has anyone figured it out?

Has anyone figured out if/how to "auto off" a TT One 3rd edition? Of course by "auto off" I mean when disconnected from an external power source. This feature sure would be nice.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

No joy

Has anyone figured out if/how to "auto off" a TT One 3rd edition? Of course by "auto off" I mean when disconnected from an external power source. This feature sure would be nice.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Nope, there's no way to get a 3rd Edition to auto power off on loss of external power. You can get it to turn the screen off on loss of external power, but I found this to be an unsatisfying solution because the unit still drains the battery because it's still on, even though the screen is off.

It's because of this limitation that I bought my wife a One LE instead of a 3rd Edition for Valentine's day. I don't miss the memory card slot or any of the 3rd Edition's other limitations. But the auto power off thing was critical for my wife, who won't remember to turn off the GPS when she turns off the car like I do.

I must say, every time I'm in her car and I see her GPS turn itself off, I'm envious and wish that my 3rd Edition would do the same thing.

Nope, there's no way to get a 3rd Edition to auto power off on loss of external power. You can get it to turn the screen off on loss of external power, but I found this to be an unsatisfying solution because the unit still drains the battery because it's still on, even though the screen is off.

It's because of this limitation that I bought my wife a One LE instead of a 3rd Edition for Valentine's day. I don't miss the memory card slot or any of the 3rd Edition's other limitations. But the auto power off thing was critical for my wife, who won't remember to turn off the GPS when she turns off the car like I do.

I must say, every time I'm in her car and I see her GPS turn itself off, I'm envious and wish that my 3rd Edition would do the same thing.

Steve, have you tried copying the ttsystem file from your wife's LE to the 3rd edition? Obviously, backup the ttsytem file that is on your 3rd edition before you do this, but I'm curious if that gives you access to the batt saving features (unfortunately, you'll probably lose some of the other features, but a custom menu could take care of that)

Steve, have you tried copying the ttsystem file from your wife's LE to the 3rd edition? Obviously, backup the ttsytem file that is on your 3rd edition before you do this, but I'm curious if that gives you access to the batt saving features (unfortunately, you'll probably lose some of the other features, but a custom menu could take care of that)

Yup, tried that with no success. TomTom really locked that feature out of the 3rd Edition. I continue to wonder why they did this. It just doesn't make any sense. What was their motivation?

Yup, tried that with no success. TomTom really locked that feature out of the 3rd Edition. I continue to wonder why they did this. It just doesn't make any sense. What was their motivation?

Very odd indeed. Not sure what their motivation would be....again, I'm very confused with the marketing strategy on the 3rd edition.

It should be fairly simple to add poweroff functionality to the One (3rd edition) if power is lost.

In my test; the following is needed:

Copy the sysreboot program to poweroff (cp -p /bin/sysreboot /bin/poweroff)

Check the following variable for the powerstate: /proc/barcelona/onoff . If it is 0, it's running on batteries, 10 means USB connection to computer, 8 represents power from the car battery adapter.

Based on this information it's fairly easy to write a small script to be run on boottime that checks the variable every so often (10-30 seconds sounds reasonable) and calls the poweroff command if onoff reaches 0.

The only problem is, at least in my car, the car battery will power the TomTom even if the car is off. At least for me, TomTom can't differentiate between the car being on or off. So the above would only work if you disconnect the plug.

Last edited:
Need Auto Power Off!

This is tremendously frustrating. How can the TT 3rd Edition not have auto power-off on loss of external power? Heck, the very first generations of car GPS units had that.

The current situation is that you park your car and your TT keeps broadcasting to the world that it is right there (at least until the battery goes dead).

Awful. :(

It should be fairly simple to add poweroff functionality to the One (3rd edition) if power is lost.

In my test; the following is needed:

Copy the sysreboot program to poweroff (cp -p /bin/sysreboot /bin/poweroff)

Check the following variable for the powerstate: /proc/barcelona/onoff . If it is 0, it's running on batteries, 10 means USB connection to computer, 8 represents power from the car battery adapter.

Based on this information it's fairly easy to write a small script to be run on boottime that checks the variable every so often (10-30 seconds sounds reasonable) and calls the poweroff command if onoff reaches 0.

The only problem is, at least in my car, the car battery will power the TomTom even if the car is off. At least for me, TomTom can't differentiate between the car being on or off. So the above would only work if you disconnect the plug.
That shouldn't be a Problem for many of us. Most standard cig lighters are either "switched" or can be rewired to a switched fuse, fairly easily.

But what about turning the device back on, automatically, when power's re-applied? :confused:
In your tests did you have to mash the power button for 5-ish seconds each time you plugged it back in (simulating an engine re-start)? That's a hands-on luxury I wouldn't have on the job.

This, I see as the real problem!

R?

Let me know!

Let me know when someone does this. I've got a One 3rd Edition, and my wife has a One LE. You don't have any idea how envious I am every time I see her GPS power down automatically. :(

Let me know when someone does this. I've got a One 3rd Edition, and my wife has a One LE. You don't have any idea how envious I am every time I see her GPS power down automatically. :(

Not sure if someone has already posted this or not. After doing the lastest update to my one 3rd it does go off after the lost of 12 volts. From the main screen go to change preferences then over to brightness preferences. Hit done, done again, then click in the little box to switch off when external power is lost. Works on mind...

But can you still use itineraries too?

Not sure if someone has already posted this or not. After doing the lastest update to my one 3rd it does go off after the lost of 12 volts. From the main screen go to change preferences then over to brightness preferences. Hit done, done again, then click in the little box to switch off when external power is lost. Works on mind...

Well, that's exciting news! But is this the update that causes the One 3rd Edition to loose the ability to add Itinerary Planning via custom menus?

I know, I know, in the words of Queen: "I want it all, I want it all, I want it all, and I want it now." It's true, I want itinerary planning **and** auto power off. Is that too much to ask? :confused:

Auto-off in TomTom One 3rd Edition

I was successful in getting both my wife's and my own TT One 3rd Edition by first resetting the device, using the reset button on the bottom of the device. Of course, this lost all of our personalizations, but it was successful in making the "Brightness" menu option available.

After working through the "Brightness" menu options, the final selection is auto-off the device when disconnected from USB power.

Hope this helps the rest of the community.

TomTom One 3rd Edition Auto Power Off

I have a One 3rd Edition with version 8.010 of NavCore installed, and I do have these options:

Change preferences
Brightness preferences (page 4 of 5)
Day/Night color brightness (press Done)
Battery saving preferences: Never turn off/turn off between instructions/always turn off (press Done)
Switch off when external power is lost [check box] (press Done)

This only works when the unit is powered by battery. When it is connected to my computer and the TomTom app the Brightness preferences are NOT selectable.

Ask a Question