Auto power off app for TomTom One?

TomTom Model(s)
One 3rd Edition
Is anyone trying to create a 3rd party application that will auto power off the TT1? I'm hoping the loss of power on the USB connector is something that is monitored by the unit and can be used to trigger a shut down of the GPS with a 3rd party app.

I'm pretty sure I do, but I will check tonight when I go back out to my car.

Are you sure this applies the One 3rd Edition? Does anyone with a 3rd Edition and Navcore 7 have auto power off working? :confused:

Make sure all menu options are set to be displayed.

Preferences, Battery saving preferences, press 'Done', check box.

Make sure all menu options are set to be displayed.

Preferences, Battery saving preferences, press 'Done', check box.

I see that the Show All Menu Options button is a button that can't be added via a custom menu. I also don't believe that I've seen that button available to me when I remove the custom menu file from my TomTom.

Can anyone please tell me if they've seen the Show All Menu Options button on their One 3rd Edition? I'll happily remove my custom .mnu long enough to enable the auto power off feature, but I just don't believe I've ever seen Show All Menu Options on my 3rd Edition....

Last edited:
I see that the Show All Menu Options button is a button that can't be added via a custom menu. I also don't believe that I've seen that button available to me when I remove the custom menu file from my TomTom.

Can anyone please tell me if they've seen the Show All Menu Options button on their One 3rd Edition? I'll happily remove my custom .mnu long enough to enable the auto power off feature, but I just don't believe I've ever seen Show All Menu Options on my 3rd Edition....

OK, now that I'm in front of my TomTom One 3rd Edition, I can tell you that it is running "App 7.162". That's Navcore 7, right?

I can also tell you that with my SdkRegistry deleted from my TomTom in order to remove my custom menus, I still don't have a Show All Menu Options button. It is my opinion that you just can't access that button on a TT1 3rd Edition, although I would love for someone to prove otherwise. :(

This must be the case, because I'm using a custom menu on my One v2 and I get the "All menu options" icon.

Does this mean that on your 3rd Ed. you don't get the "Battery saving preferences" icon?

This must be the case, because I'm using a custom menu on my One v2 and I get the "All menu options" icon.

Does this mean that on your 3rd Ed. you don't get the "Battery saving preferences" icon?

Yes and no. I don't have a "Battery saving preferences" button. But if I press the "Brightness preferences" button, then press "Done", I see the battery saving preference choices (Never turn off screen, Turn off screen between instructions, and Always turn off screen). So I can get to those configuration choices.

I would have to say that, of all the things TomTom excluded from the One 3rd Edition, the inability to have the unit auto-power off is the one I miss the most. I can work around the itinerary planning thing with a custom menu. I can work around the map correction thing by selectively removing my SdkRegistry directory from my TomTom on an as-needed basis. I don't miss not having an SD slot.

But not being able to auto-power down the One really pisses me off. My very old Garmin III+ did it. Other versions of the One do it. What could possibly have been TomTom's logic behind not letting me do it with my One 3rd Edition?

So I'll ask again: Could someone with some programming skill do us 3rd Edition owners a huge favor and make a 3rd Party App that will give us this feature?

I have the GO 920. I was also hoping for the auto shut down/on feature that I had in my Garmin Nuvi 350 (it was stolen right before Christmas so I had to get another mobile GPS so I wished for the Tom Tom GO 920 and Santa listened). After downloading the new updates yesterday I now have the option for auto shut down after the car power source is turned off and it switches to battery. It prompts for an action to allow the battery to take over or allow it to turn off. This is a step in the right direction, now if they could only have it power on.

I have the GO 920. I was also hoping for the auto shut down/on feature that I had in my Garmin Nuvi 350 (it was stolen right before Christmas so I had to get another mobile GPS so I wished for the Tom Tom GO 920 and Santa listened). After downloading the new updates yesterday I now have the option for auto shut down after the car power source is turned off and it switches to battery. It prompts for an action to allow the battery to take over or allow it to turn off. This is a step in the right direction, now if they could only have it power on.

I could be happy without auto-power on. But I would **love** to have auto-power off. Of course, if I could have both, that would be the best option....

Steve, I have created a custom menu for the 3rd edition (and, to answer earlier questions NO the 3rd edition does NOT have the SHOW MORE ICONS button).

This custom menu will give you access to other power saving and backlight options, etc. ....... The ONLY downside is that you will have to access these features with the custom menu, set them the way you want them and then rename the custom menu so that you have access to the default menu of the 3rd edition (the reason you should do this is that the custom menus cannot enable some of the V7 features such as Itinerary Planning, Help Me!, and Manage POIs).

Here is my webpage that descibes custom menus and my custom menu link is in the middle of the page:
>>> Custom Menu <<<

Hi Birdman,

I've been using your custom menu for a couple of weeks now, and I like it very much.

But unless you've created a new version of this menu over the past week or so, it does not give One 3rd Edition owners access to the Auto Power Off function.

Or have you added that to your menu since I started using your menu a couple of weeks ago?

Edit: I've just downloaded your menu file again, and see that it was last modified on 12/20/07. So I know that's the menu I'm using. Sadly, it doesn't give me access to Auto Power Off.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, I have created a custom menu for the 3rd edition (and, to answer earlier questions NO the 3rd edition does NOT have the SHOW MORE ICONS button).

This custom menu will give you access to other power saving and backlight options, etc. ....... The ONLY downside is that you will have to access these features with the custom menu, set them the way you want them and then rename the custom menu so that you have access to the default menu of the 3rd edition (the reason you should do this is that the custom menus cannot enable some of the V7 features such as Itinerary Planning, Help Me!, and Manage POIs).

Here is my webpage that descibes custom menus and my custom menu link is in the middle of the page:
>>> Custom Menu <<<

Last edited:
Ahhh, so it doesn't. I confused the Shut off Display icon with the shutdown feature you are speaking about.

Hmmm....don't know a current way of doing this. Sorry I didn't help ya out.

Ahhh, so it doesn't. I confused the Shut off Display icon with the shutdown feature you are speaking about.

Hmmm....don't know a current way of doing this. Sorry I didn't help ya out.

That's OK, thanks for trying. So now I'm back to praying for either a 3rd Party App that will do this, or a firmware fix from TomTom that will give me this function.

I wonder if I'll ever get my wish....

:(

a firmware fix from TomTom that will give me this function.

I wonder if I'll ever get my wish....

:(

After downloading the new updates yesterday I now have the option for auto shut down after the car power source is turned off and it switches to battery. It prompts for an action to allow the battery to take over or allow it to turn off.

It exists! That's what I was trying to say in my ealier post. Perhaps I wasn't to clear.

It exists! That's what I was trying to say in my ealier post. Perhaps I wasn't to clear.

On what TomTom models have you seen this function appear? It appears to me that us TT One 3rd Edition owners have been left out of this joy so far.

Does anyone w/ a 3rd Edition have the ability to Auto Power Off?

On what TomTom models have you seen this function appear? It appears to me that us TT One 3rd Edition owners have been left out of this joy so far.

Does anyone w/ a 3rd Edition have the ability to Auto Power Off?

Hi Steve,

My TomTom ONE LE does have this feature (and I'm sure this is part of the Navcore7 software, so the 3rd edition should have this as well).

It isn't, however, obvious, so the first question I must ask you is:
1) Do you have a BATTERY SAVING PREFERENCES icon?

2) If you don't, then that is the main issue. If you do, click on it and you should get the following screen:
battery_saving1.gif

3) Click on DONE and you get this screen:
battery_saving2.gif

Hi Steve,

My TomTom ONE LE does have this feature (and I'm sure this is part of the Navcore7 software, so the 3rd edition should have this as well).

It isn't, however, obvious, so the first question I must ask you is:
1) Do you have a BATTERY SAVING PREFERENCES icon?

2) If you don't, then that is the main issue. If you do, click on it and you should get the following screen:
battery_saving1.gif

3) Click on DONE and you get this screen:
battery_saving2.gif

I don't have a Battery Saving Preferences button, but I do have a Brightness Preferences icon. When I press Done on that screen, then I see your Battery Saving Preferences screen. When I press Done on that screen, it brings me back to the main Preferences menu, without showing the screen with the Switch Off When External Power is Lost option.

It appears that the Battery Saving Preferences button as you describe it does not exist on the One 3rd Edition, although I would love for someone to prove me wrong.

Ask a Question