after freeze, tomtom XL says: No maps found

TomTom Model(s)
XL (Classic)
My Tomtom XL (Classic) froze on the start screen. And I could only turn it off by holding on/off button for a long time.

I followed some suggestions:
- made a backup using file browser
- made a backup using Tomtom Home
- removed files from root folder
- started automatic update in Tomtom Home

Now when the device starts it sais:
Choose a map: No maps found!
("Kies een kaart: Geen kaarten gevonden" in Dutch)

I still have a folder called Western_Europe_1GB

Can anyone help me please...?
Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:
For your info , i've searched the complete correct model number:

XL (30 Series) / 330 - 1GB

What files do you see inside your Western_Europe_1GB folder on your unit? Among others, you should be seeing one big one (cline.dat), and very important, one that ends in *.meta and one that ends in *.meta.dct (that last one is the key, literally and figuratively).

Also, in a separate folder called "maps", do you see a *.tlv file?

What files do you see inside your Western_Europe_1GB folder on your unit? Among others, you should be seeing one big one (cline.dat), and very important, one that ends in *.meta and one that ends in *.meta.dct (that last one is the key, literally and figuratively).

Also, in a separate folder called "maps", do you see a *.tlv file?

In the Western_Europe_1GB folder I have about 58 files
Among others these:
cline.dat - 385.040 kB
Western_Europe_1GB-69.meta - 354 kB
Western_Europe_1GB-69.meta.dct - 1kB

In don't seem to have a maps folder.
This is probably the problem? Can I creare it myself or do I need to install anything?

Before I say one way or another, someone more familiar with these older units should pipe up. That said, the *.tlv file is, as far as I know, essential for some firmware versions to identify to the unit what maps are installed. On some firmware, it doesn't seem to be an issue. I would have expected a folder called "maps" with the file Western_Europe_1GB-69.tlv in it. It's not a simple text file, so can't be replicated readily.

We need to see what other owners or moderators say about that folder and file given the firmware you'd have on that unit.

I just tried removing the .tlv file from an:

TomTom XL LIVE - device rebooted twice (maybe coincidence) but then found the maps OK
On the first "Navigate to..." it asked for a country, but after that it was fine.

Go940 - Started as normal, found maps, all perfectly normal.

So the .tlv is not important on those models. I thought it was just used by Home to tell you all blurb about the countries covered etc.

For "no maps found" errors, I'd try running the "ClearFlash" solution first.

You can download it from here. Instructions are on that page too.

Yeah, the 940 won't be an issue. Found it didn't matter on my 740, either. Both these and your XL Live will be running v9 firmware.

That XL Classic should be running v8 firmware. Can't recall if it matters.

Ask a Question